ruggr10
Green Thumb

Warm Temps are Tempting!

I normally start about a week earlier than the organic farmers guide says for Maine since I'm on the coast but the incredibly warm temps are tempting me to start even earlier. My pepper are already started but that follow suit... Do I go crazy and start some tomatoes?? I did start Brussel Sprouts last night, too.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Stick with the cole cros like brussel sprout and broccoli & even lettuce. We may have somevery bad weather in april! I remembe the first day of trout season in Pa. that it was freezing april 15 th. In maine I would have several cold frames for early starts!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm getting stuff ready to go out as fast as I can. I'm planning to put some things out early, but just not bet the whole farm on it. Plant a few tomatoes now, being prepared to cover them if need be, but save some in reserve in case disaster strikes. Tomatoes well covered can survive temps in the 30's as long as above freezing and doesn't last too long, though they might not like it very much.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I'm not talking about planting outside yet, just starting the seeds. it's still very early to start toms up here in maine.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

DEFINITELY start your seeds! If it does get cold, you can just keep them inside a little longer.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”