newveggiemama
Newly Registered

moistening soil....

Oh dear. I'm a newbie at this and just started my seeds without moistening the soil first. Should I fish them out and start over?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I think you'll be okay- just go ahead and give them some water :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My first thought is No. Then... What mix are you using? If it is a high percentage of peat moss, you maybe in trouble. Small seeds, Large seeds?

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, if they are large enough seeds to retrieve easily, might be worth doing. The trouble with peat based potting soils is that until the peat is well moistened, it tends to shed water (like a dry sponge), so even though you are watering, none is being taken up.

I had one square of cells (9 cells) that I transplanted basil seedlings in to that I managed to forget to moisten first. Man, that dry peat just sucked the life out of those little seedlings, despite watering afterwards. They just shrivelled up and died. Fortunately, I had a lot more besides those, but it was instructive to watch.

pow wow

I always use a mist/spray bottle. Actually old windex bottles. So I heavily mist the soil mix, put the seeds on and mist away again, add soil if required for germination, and mist until the container is heavy. Takes time but it disturbs the seeds less. In fact I water with the spray bottle until the seedlings are well up.

newveggiemama
Newly Registered

pepper and tomato seeds, so they are pretty big. I need to get a spray bottle... I just dripped water onto them. I think ill start again today. thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just moisten it pot by pot. Fill the pot with potting soil, pour water in, stir it around a bit, add a little more potting soil and a little more water and stir again. Then plant the seeds or seedlings. After that I only bottom water, but it does need to be moistened first or it won't suck the water up.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”