GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

corn in a cell

So I threw some corn in 2 cells and man they all sprouted and grow. So popped them out after less then 2 weeks. And the root grew threw the bottom of the cell man. They grow fast. I was told its better to just put the seeds into the ground. But its kinda cool to pull up the plants and seeing how there roots grow. I moved most to there own cups. But one of the cells roots were so thick with 5 sprouts I left them together. I did 10 seeds of colored colors. They shade from white,orange,red,yellow,purple and others. There's even diffrent tints to the stalks. I can see why people who have been doing this for many years. Are still learning how to do it. Next I'm going to try and do 1 seed or 2 per cell.
:wink:

soil
Greener Thumb

I would suggest you start them in the ground next time, your corn will do much better if its able to set out deep roots. that cant happen in a cell.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

GG,

What variety of corn are you playing with? I ordered 2lbs of Painted Mountain from Fedco. Free shipping. Should arrive late next week. :D

Eric

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-03-15_22-36-51_564.jpg[/img]

That's what I planted painted mountain

applestar
Mod

Wow that's amazing! I knew corn grew deep roots but wow.

That'll take a special trick to transplant without damaging or scrunching up the root. :shock:

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Wow 2 pounds my 1/2 oz was $3.15
I'm going to look for corn growing tips soon.
My corn sucks every year.
So I just do corn for stalks for dec.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Fedco, $28.00 per pound. You paid over $100.00 per pound. Bulk will always be better.

Eric

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Lol even tho everyone said don't put things in cells I've been pulling them and looking at there roots. Just to see how they grow you get so many seeds. I can lose a few I guess to learn a lot.
Yeah pumpkin and and corn roots grow fast no wonder they grow so fast.

lily51
Greener Thumb

We talked to people from Canada while we were on vacation and they were talking about buying flats of corn in the spring. It seemed strange to us but normal to them. Their growing season is too short to plant it directly in the ground. It must work... Let us know what happens

soil
Greener Thumb

Wow that's amazing! I knew corn grew deep roots but wow.

That'll take a special trick to transplant without damaging or scrunching up the root.
some of the varieties the hopi indians used to dry farm went 20ft deep to keep the plant alive and produce. sadly most common corn has breeding has selected out traits like that for more sweetness.

I grew hopi blue a few years ago its drought tolerance was amazing compared to my regular sweet corn( which I don't even grow anymore)

and just so everyone knows, corn seedlings( not mature plants or even young plants) are somewhat cold hardy and can handle light-medium frosts from my experiences with pushing the limits.

lily of course it will work, but you will have to put more effort into the crop to achieve the same results. again going from experience and what others have experienced.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”