soil
Greener Thumb

its ok, last year I started way too early. it was a good learning experience sprouting rice and getting it to a plantable seedling. I would try planting some if your temps are not going below the 30s. last year my seedlings had to handle a 30 degree day or two in the greenhouse and they did fine. figuring they are extra it might be worth a shot.

black rice is kind of hard to find, specially some that can be sprouted. I ended up finding some high quality rice that was pretty pricey, but considering the fun ill get out of growing rice and the potential yield I'm not worried about the 9$ per lb I paid.

also I grow my rice without a flooded paddy, not sure on a paddy systems process.

soil
Greener Thumb

ive sprouted my rice, small fields of black rice here I come!

also was talking to a friend with a big pond, hes got one area where he can lower the pond level and there is a 1/4 acre of low water area. we might do a whole ton there for fun, the pond has fish and ducks so I doubt we will have to feed or anything.

soil
Greener Thumb

we have purple rice seedlings! about an inch tall. its kind of interesting all of the sprouts leaves have purple tips. ill be planting them real soon.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't grow rice, but I'm doing a few purple millet plants I started from seed. They are interesting too. Start out all green, then they get a thin purple stripe down the center of each leaf and then gradually "purple up" from there.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”