GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

growing rice.

Can you grow it from store bought.
Is it easy?

applestar
Mod

Rice from store is already threshed and mostly lifeless although some people have mentioned growing them from brown rice (but rice is often heat dried).

I buy seeds from kitazawaseeds and southern exposure seed exchange.

It's not that hard. Look for my big thread in Permaculture forum. Actualy I believe there are two photo progressions from different years, but the earlier one goes into some detail about my growing process, and soil has contributed with his upland growing methods.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Will do thanks

soil
Greener Thumb

check out this thread, no pics but has info on dry cropping rice.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29319

and I did use rice seed from the store, it was organic whole grain short brown rice. if you want more info on how give me a pm.

this year my goal is 50lbs of rice.[/quote]
Last edited by soil on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Why pm?

pow wow

I'm trying rice this year. I ordered black madras seeds from Park Seeds. I planted them a few days ago and they have already germinated and shot up about an inch. Plan to use them as thriller plants. Two of my rain barrels are made so that plants can be planted in the tops of them.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

This Will show you everything you need

https://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/guidetogrowingrice.html

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Someone has a thread on here with rice growing at the edge of their pond with goldfish. I forget who it is.

soil
Greener Thumb

seriously look up SRI farming, aka system of rice intensification farming.

when the time comes ill do a tutorial on how to sprout store rice for growing.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-03-14_21-53-03_931.jpg[/img]
Wonder if this would work.

soil
Greener Thumb

take a 1/4 cup of it, wash it, then put it in a jar with fresh water. replace water daily and wash the rice when you replace the water. if it sprouts in say 3-5 days you can grow it. if not find another rice, preferably organic and the kind of rice you want. it must be whole grain.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

That says whole grain. Ill have to read about the set I need first before I do it. Thanks

applestar
Mod

soil wrote:seriously look up SRI farming, aka system of rice intensification farming.

when the time comes ill do a tutorial on how to sprout store rice for growing.
Looked it up and started reading last night -- looks intriguing! 8)

...now I want to try leaving some rice in a jar just to see if they grow! :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

That says whole grain. Ill have to read about the set I need first before I do it. Thanks
it says whole grain but since its not organic it may be heat treated as mentioned earlier or old or just not viable. sprouting will be the test.
Looked it up and started reading last night -- looks intriguing! Cool

...now I want to try leaving some rice in a jar just to see if they grow!
if you just leave the rice in water it will ferment, you need to change the water at least daily. preferably twice a day. I'm trying to start out with SRI but id like to move to a fukuoka based system one day.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I sprout seeds and grains just like Soil instructs. But I do it to eat not to grow. I've done things like wheat, rye, quinoa, barley, sunflower, mung beans, chickpeas etc.

I've done walnuts, almonds, and cashews too. But I don;t think they are raw so they don't sprout. But it is always better to soak them before eating anyway makes it better for digestion.

Basically put some seeds/grains in a bowl and fill it with water. Let it soak for several hours. Some require different soak times. Some could soak for 2 hours while others should be like 12 hours. Anyway, after the soak you drain it. Then several times a day (atleast twice), rinse and drain the seeds/grains. Do this for a few days and they will start sprouting. Some sprout really quick and some can take a few days.

Some people from a raw food forum soak rice to eat. And they use wild rice and they get those to sprout.

There are charts online where you can see what soak and sprout times are for certain seeds/grains.

applestar
Mod

soil wrote:if you just leave the rice in water it will ferment, you need to change the water at least daily. preferably twice a day.
Gotcha! So just like with any other seeds. I've been doing this with peas and crucifers ths spring cause I'm afraid the warm spring could just as well bring on an early summer and I might be too late.

Normally, we have hard freezes until the last frost, then summer temperatures two weeks later. So pre-germinating seeds doesn't tend to help. If we have a long drawn out spring ths year, I'll get to try all kinds of techniques that I haven't been able to experiment with! 8)

Last year, I didn't transplant (DS'd) and I couldn't get out there to monitor and maintain water levels at prescribed times so I basically left it up to Mother Nature and we tend to have drought. I also couldn't weed so they suffered in that respect, but I still harvested some Hmong Sticky rice in autumn. So yeah, they don't need to be as babied as some may lead you to believe. :()
PunkRotten wrote:I sprout seeds and grains just like Soil instructs. But I do it to eat not to grow. I've done things like wheat, rye, quinoa, barley, sunflower, mung beans, chickpeas etc.
...thinking about what I have in the pantry that might sprout... 8)

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Ok poured half cup or less into a mason jar. I have holes in the lid to drain and wash it.
Well see how it goes.

applestar
Mod

I think my little experiments are starting to germinate. 8)
These were bagged Korean organic sweet bown rice.

I found the thread in which I reported my first rice growing experience:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12804

applestar
Mod

Yep. They were :D Photo taken ths morning.
I added water to rinse and separate for easy viewing. For germinating, I have been turning the jar over a paper towel lined saucer and using the jar as humidity cover, making sure paper towel stayed moist.

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/c4ab5228.jpg[/img]

I sowed them in a container of seed starting soil mix after taking the pic.
I guess I'm growing these this year since my rice growing space is limited and I hadn't started any yet. :roll:

I guess they are extra nutritious if cooked at this stage too, right? Maybe I'll try that. 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

yes they are very nutritious at this stage.

what I do at this point is take a shallow tray, about an inch deep. spread it with sand, screened crushed lavarock and a small amount of compost. I layer the rice sprouts on top, and then follow it with a small layer of sand/compost. keep moist.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

So you kept your rice under water constantly and they sprouted underwater?

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

My rice did awhole lot of nothing guess ill have to try some other time.

applestar
Mod

PunkRotten wrote:So you kept your rice under water constantly and they sprouted underwater?
Nooo.... (Reading over my posts to see if I implied that somehow...:?)

I rinsed twice a day as recommended. I used filtered water and drained most of the water out of the jar (into a watering can :wink:). Then put a clean folded paper towel across the mouth of the jar, covered with a teacup saucer, and holding on, turned the whole thing over. Initially, dry paper towel may not get enough moisture from the draining seeds and need a bit of water added.

When I rinsed the seeds, I also rinsed the paper towel and the saucer with tap water.

If I noticed that the paper towel had dried before it was time to rinse again, I just added a bit more water to the saucer to moisten it.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Lol wait do you just keep them moist?
I have them underwater opps.

applestar
Mod

Soil -- that's interesting. How far apart do you scatter the seedlings? I'm surprised you use such a shallow tray -- even with 2-1/2" deep flat, rice seedling roots tend to mat together by the time they grow two true leaves.

I use extra sandy mixture as well.

soil
Greener Thumb

gardengnome you can soak them initially for 12 hours, but from then on you have to rinse at least once a day, the more the better. 5 times a day wouldn't be overkill but just a lot of work, I do it twice. also go buy some real quality rice, you don't need a lot. the bagged cheap stuff is iffy who knows what was done to it.

applestar yes its a shallow tray, separating the seedlings is very easy with just a shake underwater. transplant shock is not really that much of a problem, it is a grass after all. also with the SRI farming method and dry farming the seedlings go out much earlier than traditional paddy farming because well there's no water level for them to compete with. also what you see coming out is not the root, its the leaf shoot. I scatter them so the surface is lightly covered but I can still see the medium. pretty dense, think of eric's onion flats. then lightly cover some more with coarse light material. I used sifted compost.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

GThe rice seeds have started to grow.
[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-03-28_15-51-02_736.jpg[/img]
I have soil,pea size gravel,sand and dirt to work with and a cookie sheet.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

GThe rice seeds have started to grow.
[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-03-28_15-51-02_736.jpg[/img]
I have soil,pea size gravel,sand and dirt to work with and a cookie sheet.

soil
Greener Thumb

congrats, you have successfully done the first part, and imo the hardest part.

proceed to the next step. also a cookie sheet sounds kind of big, my tray is 5"x9" and that can produce 200 seedlings enough to plant quite a big area. so keep that in mind.

do you have soil sifting screens? I found you get the best growth with a soil that is sifted so each particle is the same size as the rice grains. use something like 1 part sand 1/2 part compost. you can also use something that will hold water like vermiculite or crushed lavarock.

ill be starting my rice soon, I got some black rice lined up.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Well I do have a sledge hammer and a lavarock smashy smashy.

soil
Greener Thumb

be sure to screen that too.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Hmmm I have a window screen or a cookie cooling sheet that has 1/2 squares.

soil
Greener Thumb

you don't have to it just helps I found out. Last year I put the sprouted seeds in something like 10 different mediums and a couple other methods. The screened compost/lavarock/sand method worked the best. A window screen will get out all the super fine dust which is good. once again good luck.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Do I cover the rice with it then keep it alittle wet ?

applestar
Mod

For size close to rice grain, a colander might work....

Interesting detail, soil. I'll have to remember that. 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

put say a 1/2 inch down, spread the rice seed, then lightly cover with additional sifted medium.

soil
Greener Thumb

hows everyone's rice going? ill be starting mine real soon.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Got it in dirt and fish tank rocks keeping it mosit. What light or sun does it like?

soil
Greener Thumb

full light or sun.

applestar
Mod

I have usable seedlings started and hardening off, but the forecast is still calling for 30's so if I plant, I'll have to rig a hoop cover. I did want to try planting earlier this year to see if the rice could be harvest-ready during our usual summer drought, before fall rains start.

Also, you mentioning black rice has me thinking didn't I see them at the store the other day? 8) But I haven't been able to get out there to check.

So I'm dithering while I wait for more favorable weather. (I *could* direct seed now though) I did prep my little paddy and flooded it once to see how it holds water. I'll probably let it fill or not according to rainfall and general watering patterns for dri-er cultivation again.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”