dtlove129

When to fertilize?

How long after the seedlings start coming up do I wait to fertilize and them how often?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

whatcha growing ? more info would be good...

dtlove129

Currenly just some flowers that I was experimenting with until today when my veggies arrived. So the cone flowers, daisies are the only seedlings so far, but I just sowed me broccoli and cauliflower. Will be starting tom and peppers in couple of weeks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are growing them in potting soil with Miracle-Gro, they don't really need other fertilization. If they are in sterile seed starting mix, then you can start adding some nutrients after they have true leaves, but gently. Use it very dilute, 1/4 strength, until the plants get bigger.

dtlove129

Thanks. I'm assuming peet pellets don't have nutrients?! I found some miracle grow that is for seedlings but haven't used it yet. You say true leaves. The seedlings have 2 small leaves on top, is that what you are talking about? How often to?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

dtlove129 wrote:Thanks. I'm assuming peat pellets don't have nutrients?! I found some miracle grow that is for seedlings but haven't used it yet. You say true leaves. The seedlings have 2 small leaves on top, is that what you are talking about? How often to?
The first leaves are cotyledons. True leaves will be a week or more later.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right, peat pellets have no nutrients. And yes what eric said. The first two leaves are the cotyledons (aka seed leaves). They are differently shaped from the true leaves. All the leaves that come after the first two are true leaves, that will have the shape that is typical for the plant.

If you are feeding very dilute, you can probably do it every week or two "feed weakly weekly"

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Can I use reg mircle grow to feed my plants? What would the mix be?
Or an actt?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

GardenGnome wrote:Can I use reg mircle grow to feed my plants? What would the mix be?
Or an actt?
Of course you CAN use regular M-G grow to feed your plants (we are talking seedlings still, right), you just have to use it very dilutely. It's a philosophical question. Most organic gardeners don't use M-G at all, just AACT and other organic nutrients. I still use M-G potting soil for starting my seedlings, just for convenience and cheapness. My partner can get huge bags of the stuff cheap at Sam's. I'm starting my second huge bag for the season. I'm used to doing it that way and it works well. But I swear, I will break myself of the habit sometime soon and switch to making my own with coconut coir etc. Just didn't manage to get it together in time for seed starting this year.

But once the seedlings are out in the garden, I don't use any artificial fertilizers any more.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Does the AACT have to be watered down even more then the 10 gallon amount?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”