justmeinflorida
Newly Registered

To late to start seeds in window sill Zone 9? Best way to go

I've just gotten into veggie/fruit gardening...is it to late to start seeds for this months planting in Zone 9? I get full sun in my kitchen window, I've managed to get Cilantro to start there but nothing else. I purchased a Burpee 10 pellet green house type container...I planted Basil, Chives, Parsley, Rosemary, Cilantro & Oregano. Is there a better way to start seeds? I'm lost I was hoping for more growth :(

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It's not too late. And mixing those herbs in one container can be tough. I prefer to keep all my herbs separate unless they share the same type of growing conditions (same watering, sun, space etc). The best thing for you to do is look up each of those herbs individually on google and find out about what they need to grow and thrive. Some herbs are easy to grow on window sills and some are not.

Out of the herbs you listed Rosemary and I think Oregano do no like a lot of water. And Rosemary I think takes forever to sprout and grow.

People use heating pads to start seeds, and then once the seeds are up they use lights or put out into the sun. But there is something called "hardening off" that I think you should understand. This is basically that your seedlings are young and tender and not used to the intense sun and winds. So they have to be slowly introduced to these things.

For some plants heating pads and lights maybe not be necessary.

justmeinflorida
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply...I didn't know about hardening, guess I'll have to do more research on it. I'm thinking that the Rosemary & Oregano didn't sprout because of the green house conditions I had them in. We had some nasty weather here Saturday evening & Sunday. Hurricane forced winds and torrential rain and the small green house was set outside. Maybe the rain water was just to much for them.

There's so much to learn...my naivety, just plant & it will grow...wrong..LOL! I'm glad I found a forum that will help me on my journey.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”