brandon558
Cool Member

heat mats necessary?

I have read several articles and threads about the heat mats and how they help big time on germination. Although I was reading a book about starting indoors and it mentioned nothing about heat mats.

Now this is my first time starting seeds indoors and I got a little crazy and have over 100 seeds planted from peat pots, cups, starter treys, ect.

I mixed Burpee starter mix, got it wet, planted the seed, and watered again. I have them sitting in a spare closet at about 70* room temp.

I looked at getting grow lights once they hopefully sprout.

Is there any hope for them coming up good and living without the heat mats?

I would have to buy more than one mat for the amount of seeds ive started. I know I got a little carried away but is there any hope without one?

Moneys tight for a college kid!

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You do not necessarily need heat mats, but germination takes place much more quickly with a little heat. As an alternative, the germinating seeds can be placed in any warm location, or speeded along with an incandescent light placed such that the soil gets warmed. Before getting heat mats, at various times I placed mine under incandescent bulbs, placed them near the outflow by a refrigerator, placed them over a heat duct, placed them on top of the clothes dryer. Anything that gets the soil temperature up to around 70 degrees will help seeds of warm weather plants germinate. IMO there is no need for a heat mat when starting seeds of cool weather plants.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here's my 70* closet.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20Propagation%20Greenhouse/GreenhouseFeb72012004.jpg[/img]

No, Heat mats are not a requirement but light definitely is.

You didn't say what you planted.

Eric

brandon558
Cool Member

I planted beans, peas, cukes, tomatoes, and letttuce.I figured the cukes and tomatoes would be the hardest to get going but you learn as you go!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”