GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

full sun

I have my plants in full sun.
Will full sun stop them from beiing leggy?
Sun is better then lights right?
Most of my stuff have there true leafs when should I give my extras aways?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If they are plants that like full sun and they have been hardened off to be used to it, then yes, great. And yes, full sun is way better than lights and should stop the legginess. Outdoors on a cloudy day is way better than 2" below the lights.

When to give your plants away depends on whether the people you are giving them to are experienced gardeners who are willing to fuss and care for them a bit. Having the first true leaves is still tiny/tender seedlings. I wouldn't give them to just anyone. Since I sell mine, not give them away (for a whole buck!), I usually get them to around 6" tall (depending a little bit on what kind of plant), nice sturdy little plants, not seedlings. And of course hardened off already, so people can just stick them in the ground.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes plants won't get leggy with sunlight. The reason they get leggy under atrificial lights is cause the plants are strecthing to get to the light which is not nearly as strong as actual sunlight.

Don't forget to harden them off gradually.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I harden them off over 1 week and a half I might have rushed them alittle. But I've left them in the sun for a full day of sun and they look most look great.
How many hours do cold crops like? And next year I think ill just grow plants for my self (laughs) that's a lot of work to just give away but I told them if the plants make it ill give them away.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Alos if they have been in the sun all day do they need grow lights at night if you bring them back in?
I do have a cold frame or a green house I could put them in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, if they've had at least 8 hrs of sun, they don't need light if they come back in for the night. The 16 hrs a day of artificial light is to make up for the fact that it is so much less light than sunlight.

The green house or cold frame might be enough, depending on what plants we are talking about and what your temps are like.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Thanks a lot I think I have the basics down for starting seed intell they go outside for the day.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”