Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Need more room after seeds emerge ! Where?

I have 35 or more boxes of plants coming up. Each box has 5 dozen o more that have to be planted in flats before they get too big! The adantage of how I plant them gives me more time sine I can leave them in the main box for a month! Mainly all I have to do is thin them and leve several dozen stay in the boxes! My main problem is expanding room for 35 boxes to 50 more flats.
+++
You need a surface that gets light so it has to have its own space! Even with three greenhouses together that make about 700 square feet I need more area till the outside temp will not frost! I guess next week I have to put up another greenhouse using some of my 4 by 6 foot eight double pane slidding doors! I am starting with a 7 by 12 small one that I can add too! Double glass Doors on the south side and plastic cover over the rest! I am using a new design that I have figured will be the best that I will mention later! This is alot of work but I love it! Does anyone else have this problem? I also got the 72 cube flats at agway for 69 cents each a great price!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That sounds like well over two thousand plants.... Then what will you do with them after greenhouse season is over?

I think all of us gardening nuts... I mean enthusiasts... tend to plant more than we have room for, however much or little room we have. That's why I developed my annual plant sale/ fundraiser at my church, to give me a place to get rid of a lot of the extras.

But I still have to have room to grow them out to transplant size. I'm getting better at knowing how many seeds to plant so I don't over do it so much.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

In PA, your possible solutions are limited. I would think that an unheated greenhouse is no solution, at least not until the last month or so before planting, and even then temperatures could dip for a night or two down into the low 20's and give disaster. It seems a little odd to me, to have such an ambitious planting, with no location planned for the developing plants? Did you jump the gun and start too early, dump a bunch of seeds and hate to destroy the extras, or just think that inspiration would come before the need materialized?

In the past, I've ordered a very light, semi insulating material that will float over the plants with just a little support placed underneath. It is the same bubble material that everyone likes to pop which is used to cushion items for shipment. Mine came from one of the large online vendors on the internet. Also there is a material called floating row fabric or some similar name. One brand is called 'Remay' floating row. These floating row fabrics will give maybe 6-8 degrees worth of advantage and would likely work through a light to medium frost.

here is a link to some of the products offered through Greenhouse Megastore. I've ordered from them several times with excellent satisfaction. There are many other products available. Just google [floating row fabric].

[url]https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/s?keyword=row+cover[/url]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I will add a 100 gallons of water stoage and will have no poblem keeping it from freezing at night! My other grenhouse has had no heat all winter and has not frozen, I do have a 299 watt heater in my sweat chamber that onkly comes on for a few hours at midnight! I will be selling plants this year at my friends store!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I have room but my weather in ca is random I was looking outside at the the patched sky. When they became dark fast.
[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-27_15-57-25_402.jpg[/img]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have lots of cole crops and cold weather ones coming up and will move them to the colder greenhouse within a week to give me room for the other flats of tomatoes and peppers!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-17_09-14-54_916.jpg[/img]

I have this it has no lights or heat can my cold crops live in it?
Will it get light on a cloudy day and keep the frost out?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your cold weather crops like broccoli, spinach etc are frost tolerant. If well hardened off, they would have sailed right through your little snow. They could just be planted.

I have broccoli and spinach still growing in my garden that I planted last fall. We had a pretty mild winter for us, but we did have a few nights with temps in the teens as well as other frosts and a few snows.

I have recently planted broccoli that is in process of being hardened off now and will get planted soon, here in Ohio, I direct seeded my spinach and chard and stuff in the ground over a week ago.

So if you are talking about like baby broccoli seedlings that aren't transplant size yet, the only issue with the old greenhouse is if it gets enough light.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I grew pepper plants in there last year in the warm sun and some herbs and others. They were nice and green and big. Basil did well in there so I'm guessing it had sun coming threw idk about on a rainy day tho. I have some plastic I might plant them under if I put them in the ground so the rain or snow doesn't crush them. I have some people I could pass out plants to but I don't want to give them weak plants.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Dug my cold frames out to a foot deep and will put some of the cole crop flats in them covered with a windod for a few weeks! When you dig them a foot deep the ground warmth keeps them from freezing alson with the warmth of the day sun! I have a few air vents so it does not get too hot!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

:wink:
Last edited by GardenGnome on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

My last frost date is coming up soon
Its been nice here.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”