PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When to start basil, canteloupe, cukes, and sunflowers?

Hi,

I am in zone 9-10 and was looking at a chart and it said I can start melons and cukes in FEB. Is that right? I was thinking of started some sunflowers today but on my seed packets it said start late Spring, is that about right? And Basil, could I start now?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't direct seed warm weather crops until the highs are in the 80's and the lows are stay near 60 or above. You can start the basil anytime indoors. After sprouting, set the plants outside in the sunshine on days that are about 60 degrees or warmer.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Hi I'm also from Southern California, Ontario to be exact, I have my basil sprouting and living outside in pots and they are doing great, right now its not getting colder and all my plants are doing fine, I have many things growing even some zuchinni rippening as we speak outside, I say you try them outside and let them stay outside so they can get use to the weather. Basil parsley is doing more than great, My Parsley and Basil coming up, on the back I have a Cucumber coming up too
[img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-02-24164614.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely start the basil now! I already have basil started out here in cold Ohio. Melons and cukes if you want to start indoors, you would still only start a couple weeks ahead of when you can plant them out. As hendi said, they are warm weather crops. They don't want to go in the ground until soil temps are above 70. And they sprout and grow fast. Lots of people direct seed them in the ground after the ground has warmed up. I do usually start mine indoors (well, I don't actually grow cukes and melons, but I grow squash which is in the same family, cucurbits), but I plant the seeds indoors, just after the last frost date. By the time they are ready for transplant the soil has usually warmed up enough.

I know frost date doesn't apply to you, but hope this helps some.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”