rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There's a reason pumpkins are most often grown in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania... all states with lots of summer rain. In that case a lot of the 10,000 gallons would be provided free as rain water. But I'm thinking that Paradise is like a lot of Calif, with little to no rain in June, July, Aug, Sept, the prime growing months for your pumpkin. So you would have to be providing all that.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

What rain? This year
Yeah we get it jan to april.
So on the grey water part do you have to do organic shampoo and dishsoap.

2cents
Green Thumb

Hey Rainbow,
I'm not seeing any disagreement between your perspective and mine.
Of course I can be a bit thick :lol:
Maybe we can be more efficient and you will have me on that point.
But, I wasn't trying to be efficient in the garden, just growin' somethin' to eat, or look at.
Seems there is no true concept of wasting water where I come from.
But, we can waste the efforts our fellow man has made to change its usability or suitibility for a specified purpose. Or we can waste our fellow man's effort to bring it to us given a specific purpose or period of time.

The way I'm looking at it is, there is more water on this floating space ball than all mankind can use in a millenium. Therefore it has hundreds of years to be filtered into new and reusable resource.
Of course if we don't like the pace of mother nature we can always desalinate till our hearts content.

I often loose compost outside of the veggie garden, some get blown out sometimes I even tip the wheel barrow the wrong direction. I've even used the occassional old hose that dripped in the wrong place. Many of us waste good resources all the time. Guess that's why MDOD use to call us boys Knucleheads.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

This sounds very cool. I grew a [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=227214#227214]61# Big Max last year[/url]:

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/BigMax2011_web.jpg[/img]

but my son kept telling me he wants an Atlantic Giant.

I just ordered a pack of seeds off of Amazon, and I think I have a decent place to grow one.

Good tip on digging a ginormous hole. I'm renting a rototiller this weekend; I'll broadfork up a section first, then till through it and see how deep I can get.

2cents
Green Thumb

Try tilling, dig/scrape that part out, then till again, dig it deeper & till again.
Some of the pictures I've seen on preparation have holes 3 feet deep, 10 feet long and 6 feet wide.
Those are big holes filled with compost and aged manure.
Those guys grow the big ones.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-03-17_22-39-38_704.jpg[/img]
Here are 2 A giants and 2 full moon.
I think last year the top contest pumpkin was under 200 pounds you get $500
I just wanted some cool pumpkins and to have fun.
Ill keep you posted.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I got some blue pumkins this year also can't wait.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”