GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

what the &%*% how many plants do you end up with?

From what I have so far.
I started mostly herbs, tomatoes,peppers and (cold crop stulff they sprouted over night.
lettuce collie flower cabbage broccoli) I still have all my put in the ground plants..pumpkin,corn,peas etc. How many plants do you end up with from what I count I have 150 now not adding the stuff you stick in the ground. Ill give some away but wow.

vebyrd36

Honestly I really do not know, cuz I start flats and give them to people.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I start at least 500 plants. A couple hundred I sell as a fundraiser for my church, and some I give away.

I started the fundraiser thing almost by accident, just trying to figure out what to do with all those plants.... If you are starting things from seed, it is very easy to end up with lots, especially if you are tender-hearted about being able to thin and throw out.

Over years of doing it, I've gotten better at estimating what's a reasonable amount of seed to plant. So I still grow 500 plants, but way more varieties than I did at the beginning. And some still surprise me, like the stupid spearmint with the seeds like dust and the 150% germination rate :)

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I kmow about 5 or so people that do gardening so ill give them some. I have lost acouple plants here and there and tossed afew. But I still have more then I need but that's ok there acouple more people that live near me but I don't talk to much ill just give them some to thin out what I have left.

soil
Greener Thumb

got 400 lettuce going, 300 onions, leeks, chard, kale, broccoli, 350 tomatoes so far more to come, 150 peppers, the list goes on and on lol.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Everything I started I added extra seeds to get an extra plant or 2. I want to have back up plants in case something happens. And I also expect some leftovers I do not need and I will give those away.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always say 500, but that's just a number I made up and probably an underestimate. Right now of the things that have been thinned and transplanted, so they are countable and the number I will keep, I have (in round numbers, this is accurate +/- 2):

20 peppers (but more seed is planted)
20 red basil
30 celery
60 spearmint
10 geranium
36 broccoli
12 dill/ fennel

so that's over 150 right there and this is just the beginning. I have a ton of petunias waiting to be thinned and transplanted and lots of other stuff sprouted. I just planted two kinds of tomatoes and two (more) kinds of basil and there's a ton more planting to do this weekend and every week after this....

Not all of the above plants will (probably) make it. I am really good at starting seeds and hardly lose any in the process of getting them to garden size. Where I lose plants is in the hardening off process in our really inconsistent Cincinnati weather and without a greenhouse. I always say I'm going to be very careful and then I get impatient (rushing the season)/ busy etc and some plants get blitzed.

Nonetheless 500 has to be an underestimate....

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

hardening off process
Is what I need to learn about next I do have a green house and cold box.
The green house panels are old but plants still grow good in there.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”