GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Seeds of change

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but "Seeds of Change" has seed display racks at walmart this year. So if you were going to order from their catalog, maybe run to wally world first. I didn't compare prices so I don't know if there's a mark-up or not.

There are racks at all three of the walmarts in my immediate area.

faithful4ever

I saw the seeds of change rack at my Walmart recently. At almost five dollars for a packet of seeds they are little too much for me right now....lol I don't want my veggie garden to cost me as much as the supermarket. Trying to cut the food bill by growing fruits and vegetables :).

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:arrow:
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

faithful4ever wrote:I saw the seeds of change rack at my Walmart recently. At almost five dollars for a packet of seeds they are little too much for me right now....lol I don't want my veggie garden to cost me as much as the supermarket. Trying to cut the food bill by growing fruits and vegetables :).
Gotta interject here a bit... one packet of seeds has enough to last 2-3 years worth of gardening! IMHO, a packet of seeds for 5 bucks (depending on the plant) isnt' all that bad, due to all the plants and fruits/veggies they produce :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:arrow:
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tc_31_fillAmenist

I just bought a pack of Seeds Of Change Yellow Crookneck Squash at Walmart. It was $2.00.

The display wasn't marked but I assumed they were all the same price. In fact, I had a pack of Beefsteak Tomato price-checked. It was also $2.00.

Would I have paid $5.00? For a $2.00 pack of seeds? Absolutely not.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Hahahhaa I got 9 pack of seeds for 99¢ at the 99Cent Store and they work good enough for me =]

tc_31_fillAmenist

OROZCONLECHE wrote:Hahahhaa I got 9 pack of seeds for 99¢ at the 99Cent Store and they work good enough for me =]
Exactly! Honesty, after reading this thread I made an almost special trip to Walmart just to see if they would have the audacity to overcharge that much for a pack of seeds.

At least at the Vero Beach Walmart... nope. :)

faithful4ever

:( ....I just thought they were a little bit pricey for me right now. I have five kids. One 16 year old son who is determined to eat us out of house and home...lol.and Iam a stay at home mom :). With meat, gas, clothes and food prices up. I have to stick with my two for a dollar seeds....lol they grow just fine :)

soil
Greener Thumb

you all seem crazy, 5$ in seeds is going to grow you more than 100$ of produce if you do it right. well worth the money for something special, specially if you can save seed from there on out forever if you like.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

It's not $5 for the seeds. But it is at least twice the price of some others. HOWEVER, the money you are spending on the Seeds of Change brand goes to good use. Community gardens and child education programs. Where as the 99 cents you spend at the dollar store...goes to putting more bon bons on aisle 5 for the fatty that plows through a box while watching their "soaps".

Besides, of all the people on here who order seeds from catalogs, they are priced relatively close to other catalogs. And they are organic seeds. Dollar store, not so much. Not to mention the dollar store carries almost all GMO and hybrid seeds.

I spent the extra money on the few seeds I had to buy because I like what they do and I like what they stand for. Am I the only one that caught the meaning of "Seeds Of Change"?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:you all seem crazy, 5$ in seeds is going to grow you more than 100$ of produce if you do it right. well worth the money for something special, specially if you can save seed from there on out forever if you like.
:shock:
It's not $5 for the seeds. But it is at least twice the price of some others. HOWEVER, the money you are spending on the Seeds of Change brand goes to good use. Community gardens and child education programs. Where as the 99 cents you spend at the dollar store...goes to putting more bon bons on aisle 5 for the fatty that plows through a box while watching their "soaps".

Besides, of all the people on here who order seeds from catalogs, they are priced relatively close to other catalogs. And they are organic seeds. Dollar store, not so much. Not to mention the dollar store carries almost all GMO and hybrid seeds.

I spent the extra money on the few seeds I had to buy because I like what they do and I like what they stand for. Am I the only one that caught the meaning of "Seeds Of Change"?
:shock: :shock:

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

ECAXTLY!!! your paying for quality, seeds of change has seeds you cant buy elsewhere and like you said the money is going to a legitimate business who's goal is to provide better and more rare seeds than say burpee and walmart or those 99 cent or less American seed brand. kudos to you gardenRN.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

GardenRN wrote:It's not $5 for the seeds. But it is at least twice the price of some others. HOWEVER, the money you are spending on the Seeds of Change brand goes to good use. Community gardens and child education programs. Where as the 99 cents you spend at the dollar store...goes to putting more bon bons on aisle 5 for the fatty that plows through a box while watching their "soaps".

:shock:

Wow- I had no idea that they give to charity too-awesome! I'll be by to buy a few seed packets then ;D I need to pick up a few new veggies this year, and want to try an orange tomato variety

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's a statement from [url=https://www.seedsofchange.com/about/default.aspx]Seeds of Change's website[/url]:
Seeds of Change wrote: OUR SEEDS
For over 20 years, we have remained true to our original vision by offering the largest selection of organic seeds in the industry, including heirloom, traditional, and rare seeds. Our seeds are produced through a network of certified organic family farms and professional growers. Through these partnerships, we continually cultivate study and develop seeds with the goal of producing the finest certified organic, open-pollinated varieties to share with our fellow gardeners and farmers. Each year, we collect data and conduct evaluation on all of our Seeds of Change varieties of seed. Our research and testing provide confidence in the quality of our seed and ensure high germination rates that produce healthy, hardy plants.
No GMOs, all organic methods, family-owned farms produce the seeds (vs. agribusiness conglomerates), and they support sustainable methods worldwide.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

You should check out some of the community gardens they help set up and gardening things for kids. IDK where I was reading it....I think it was in their catalog. I swear I'm not getting kick-back off this lol. I just really really like the way they do things and I think the little extra dough is worth it. I wish I could do more charitable things like that myself. But since I can't, what a great way to help, while being able to be sure that your money is going to good use! Just my 2 cents.

I do think the seeds in the walmart are slightly more expensive than in the catalog, but don't quote me on that. But I figure I'd end up paying for shipping and it would even out anyways.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”