PenPalAnna

Growing Hostas from seed

Maybe this is in the wrong forum ut I have a question. Has anyone ever grown Hostas from seed? I want to plant a bunch of them, but I don't want to pay $5.00+ per plant. I haven't seen may places to buy seeds except for Amazon.com.

gofarmer
Newly Registered

Never tried but have a couple of hostas in my garden and would not mind trying to take some cuttings or grow from seeds.

pondlady

I started some from seed last spring. I traded for the seeds. I just laid the seeds flat on starting mix in a tray. pat them down tight against the soil. keep damp but not soggy. Put a dome over them, keep the try in a nice indirect sunny place or under a grow light and wait! they are slow,slow,slow to germ. as slow to grow. I have 32 plants now out in the greenhouse waiting for spring.

gofarmer
Newly Registered

How slow is slow?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I will have to try collecting seed from my hostas this year!

Haven't grown them from seed but if you are starting them indoors (I.e. reasonably warm) it should take about a couple weeks for the seeds to germinate.

gofarmer
Newly Registered

Think I better wait until it gets a bit warmer - currently -20 here at night and barely above -10 in the day - water froze in our spare room the other night......role on spring.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”