IanHulett
Newly Registered

Germinate Trachycarpus Fortunei(Windmill Palm) seeds faster?

Hi, is there a way for me to germinate a Trachycarpus Fortunei seed faster? I germinated a Honey Locust seed in 4 days because I found the seed coat broken and the plant embryo exposed. It was supposed to be a 3-4 week wait supposedly, but because of the seed coat damage, the seed sprouted quicker. If I use sand paper carefully on a Trachycarpus Fortunei seed, can I get a quicker result than 1-3 months by mimicing the situation the honey locust seed was in? Please help.

applestar
Mod

I can't guarantee success, but that's basically what I've read and I've done this with lotus seeds and some others. It's easier to hold the seed with something like a vise grip and rub it against a relatively rough sandpaper (it takes forever with too fine sandpaper :wink:) or a microfile rather than rubbing the seed with sandpaper. I admit I got tired of the slow process and nicked some of the vise gripped seeds with a knife as well.

With lotus seeds, the you see a light/creamy color under the hard black outer shell.

I subjected the scarified lotus seeds to warm~Hot water soak overnight per instructions that came with the seeds.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”