GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

jiffy pellets

Does the netting hurt the roots?
I have a 72 pellet size tray I want to use when I divide my plants.

AZCricket

I'll be able to tell you for sure once my radishes are ready for harvest. I planted them IN the netting, so I'm not sure how they will come out. I had tried removing the bottom at least, when planting the sprouts, but the tap root had attached itself to the netting and broke off when I moved it too far, so I didn't want to risk that with the other ones.

If you're still horribly worried about it, but don't want to wait, you could always score the netting with a knife or cut along the sides with a scissors (avoiding the bottom) when you go to plant them so the roots have space to move. That's what I'm going to do with the next ones I plant, just in case.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Yeah with the roots getting broken off if you try to remove the netting I've had it happen.
And don't want to damage the plant. I'm wondering if the nettings made to break apart when the roots push threw. Thanks for the tip.

The Mad Hatter

That netting does not break up during the year. I found some last year while tilling from the year before.

The way I did it last yeast was once the seedling had emerged and before you have roots coming completely out of the netting was to just cut it off and transfer to a red solo cup until it was time to hit the garden.

After tilling I would use one of those bulb diggers that you would use for bulb type of flowers. It was a perfect match for the size of the red solo cup. Made transfer planting to the garden quite easy.

I also put four to five 1/4" holes in the bottoms of the cups so you can bottom water during your wait to the garden. If you are halfway careful you should be able to use those cups for a few years.

Another thing I noticed was the roots do not all pass through that netting. My pepper plants all had very small root balls the first year with leaving the netting on. The second year with cutting it off I seen no issues.

T.M.H.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I usually cut one side of the netting with scissors and pull back a bit before planting. If there are 2 good sprouts I have teased the pellet apart to get 2 plants.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I vote for not even using the things. Sorry to say so after you bought it, but I can vouch for the fact that even after 3 years the netting isn't broken down and I still find them in my garden.

The Mad Hatter

Yep. Jeff is correcet. I use the smaller cube trays from menards. Seed starting mix and your good to go.

T.M.H.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Thanks ill keep those ideas in mind I bought them so I might as well use them.
But ill keep my eye out for diffrent stuff.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

yup, use em up. When you plant out the seedlings, cut the net down one side and peel them off. I don't think the roots ever truly break free if you don't. JMO

applestar
Mod

I don't like them either. Be sure to up pot before the roots start to poke out (keep a close eye on the underside)

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”