Ruffsta
Green Thumb

finally got my heat mat and thermostat.. HAVING ISSUES!!!!!

well, I finally decided to go buy a heat mat and thermostat today.. they didn't have the 20x20 mat so I got the 9x19.5 one..

[img]https://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3083/photo0148a.jpg[/img]

now let's see if I have issues starting peppers anymore 8)

the mat is currently heating up as you can see.. set to 80
Last edited by Ruffsta on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

peppers can still be tricky for me some germinate better than others.

quiltbea

You've taken a great first step. Just be sure to start more seeds than you want so you have enough if some of them don't germinate.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

the thermostat hit 80 and shut off like it was supposed to... but now the temp is dropping and was expecting for it to kick in again... but it's not :(

wth

btw, I am not using the cups as seen anymore... just a regular flat setup.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Hmm I have the same therm. I haven't really watched it to see when it kicks back on.
Make sure you use warm water to keep the temp up.
I stuck mine in the middle cell for temp.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

same, I only water once - (the initial time with water that has set for 24hrs).. I never add anymore water - once they sprout that's when I get more involved in their care honestly.

I set the new setup today, it reached the 80 and shut off.. never kicked back in automatically... so I unpluged it and set it back to 80 so it's climbing back up again.

PS: I always thought it would automatically kick back in after a 5 degree difference.. but it went past 10 degrees and didn't kick back in... and the manual doesn't say a thing about it either.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

update: according to tech support from hydrofarm, it's supposed to kick back in at 77 degrees.. so we shall see..

UPDATE: it kicked back in at 77.9 degrees

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What did you change between your last to postings?

Eric

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Yes I would like to know also incase it happens to me lol.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:What did you change between your last to postings?

Eric

nothing, I first unplugged the unit/replugged it back in and let it run it's course as it's default setting is 80 degrees.. I called them and the tech support said it should kick back in at 77 degrees.

and true to his word everytime it hits 77.9 it kicks back in.. slowly climbing back to 80 and then shutting off.. and that's the cycle I have been having. just at first I didn't understand the cycle and the manual doesn't make it clear. at the moment I am happy and awaiting sprouting to occur.

also put plastic wrap over the flat - which helps keep up with the temp.. I guess I could use the dome cover.. just too lazy to go to the basement to get it lol..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Apparently the first cycle didn't work. Your earlier post threw me off. :D
PS: I always thought it would automatically kick back in after a 5 degree difference.. but it went past 10 degrees and didn't kick back in... and the manual doesn't say a thing about it either.
Glad to hear it's working.

Eric

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Glad its working I did 36 cells half have came up I kept it at 72 to 75 no cover.
I did peppers,herbs and tomatoes.

Tonio
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Apparently the first cycle didn't work. Your earlier post threw me off. :D
Glad to hear it's working.

Eric
+1, musta ' needed a re-boot LOL !

I was considering getting a thermostat, and the exact one Rufftsa has. At least now I know how this model works - thanks !!
Any other suggestions for a thermostat?

T

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:arrow:

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

lol @ "reboot" comment.. :)

but yeah, I like this one - it was the one I wanted to get for the longest time.. I recommend this one.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I don't know how long it takes to germinate seeds with a heat mat vs not using one, but I just hope I didn't waste my money on getting it and not to mention my time and electricity. nothing has sprouted yet..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't worry until week 2. 14 days

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends on what seeds. I have had some seeds pop up within about 36 hrs and some take two weeks or more, even on the heat mat. My parsley seed has been sitting on the heat mat for two weeks already and hasn't shown itself yet. But parsley is slow and well could take another week or even a little more.

But yes, if you are serious about starting lots of things from seed, you absolutely need the heat mat. Some seeds just will not germinate at all without it. They sit there in the cold damp soil and just rot. Some will germinate, but take two or three times as long.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I have the same set as you do and didn't use the dome my house is cold from 58 to 65
And my stuff sprouted but the peppers are taking longer.

applestar
Mod

It's always a good idea to get some inexpensive thermometers and kep track of ambient and soil level temperatures.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:But yes, if you are serious about starting lots of things from seed, you absolutely need the heat mat.
I've been starting my gardens all from seed for the past 3 years with no real issues... I don't "absolutely need the heat mat" honestly.. just got it for my stubborn pepper seeds really.
GardenGnome wrote:I have the same set as you do and didn't use the dome my house is cold from 58 to 65
And my stuff sprouted but the peppers are taking longer.
yep, same thing here on my side.. I sometimes remove the dome because it gets all sweaty and to let the setup breathe.

lesson learned... do not put wooden sticks in the setup.. they get fuzz on them... lol

Tonio
Green Thumb

yup, peppers- especially hotter chile need heat.

still waitin' on my poblano's :? Pasilla's came up in 7 days.

T

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Idk I had mine on a stone counter nothing came up.
Then I put it on styrofoam and BAM I have more seeds then I know what to do with.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I'm sure your stone counter was acting as a heat sink and soaking up all the heat from the mat. Mine sit on a wooden counter and do fine, though now that you have mentioned it, I might waste less energy if I insulated them from that counter too....

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

yeah I have mine sitting on wood too..

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Yeah the styrofoam is a inch and half thick. I tried a towel but it didn't do much.
They have mats for camping there thin but do the job I bet.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

today the very first sprout.. woot! lol

it's the common thin chili's you see in the produce section in your grocery store...

UPDATE: make that 4..
Last edited by Ruffsta on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vebyrd36

I place my pepper seeds on top of the heater in the living room.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”