BarcelonaTerrace

Onion and leek seedlings falling over

Hi all,

I have maybe 30% of my onoin and leek seedlings lying flat on the soil. I'm referring to the green stem emergence which is around 3 inches long.

Does this mean they are done for? I have put them outside on occasion - maybe the outdoors temperature was too cold for them?

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Outdoors would not have been too cold for them, though if these are indoor grown seedlings, and there's a big temperature difference between in and out, the going back and forth can be hard on them.

But if they are mostly indoor grown seedlings, the commonest reason for seedlings to be lying flat on the soil is damping off. It is a fungal disease that little seedlings are very vulnerable, especially in conditions of high moisture and low air circulation.

This thread:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222417#222417

has some pictures of what damped off seedlings look like. The stems get spindly and may have a brownish nipped in area at the bottom, just above ground level. If it is the damping off, once they are lying flat, they are probably goners, nothing you can do about it except pitch them and start over.

BarcelonaTerrace

Well thats disappointing but reading back over countless posts on this subject I am thinking its not too surprising.

I havent been watering from the bottom like most people recommend, so I guess thats been the cause.

Do you have any tips on best methods to water from below? Do I just still them in a pool of water for some minutes? Will the water reach the seedlings?

Thanks a lot

applestar
Mod

From what I've seen, onion seedlings seem to grow roots as deep as they are tall so I think it'll be OK.

quiltbea

To water from below, I pour water in the bottom of my tray of seedlings to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch depth and let the plants wick up the water as its needed. When the water disappears and the the tops of the pots start to dry out I add more water to the tray. The plants will only take up what they need.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”