GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

seed set up

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-01-31_19-55-19_948.jpg[/img]

So in this pic the 4 bar lights I got from someone who was moving. I just found out 2 lights are aquatic/plant light 1how is labeled sunlight and the 4th. Is a softwhite light.
the single light clamped onto that is a spot gro gro watt.
I have 2 heating matts ones half as wide then the other. I know the smaller one is compatible with the thermostat. But I have them both plugged into the thermometer.

Any tips should I put the matts on some styrofoam. Its kinda cold in the room.
put the smaller matt on the inside?

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Also I have the lights on a timer what timing should I use the room has alot of windows.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't pay any attention to the windows. Unless your plants are right next to them, the windows won't provide any significant amount of light. If the plants were right next to them, then they would always be leaning toward the window and might get cold and drafty. Run your lights 16 hours a day, and hang them right over the plants just 2-3 inches above them. I don't even have mine on a timer, just turn them on when I get up and off before I go to bed. I do have them on a surge protector so I can turn them all on/off with one switch.

Here's how my seed starting operation looks (this is an old picture, I have some seeds planted now, but nothing sprouted yet).

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/seedlings3-16.jpg[/img]

The blue is the heat mats. I run two of them just for germinating seeds. Once sprouted, they come off the heat mats to make room for more seeds.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Nice set up rainbowgardener. I need to find a dedicated space to set up some lights. Right now my setup, as posted earlier, is portable and cheap, mostly improvised. But works just fine for my needs. Weather hits the 60's so often here in central S.C. that in Jan and Feb I move the plants outside on most days and just use the lights as supplemental.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Nice set up rainbowgardener. I need to find a dedicated space to set up some lights. Right now my setup, as posted earlier, is portable and cheap, mostly improvised. But works just fine for my needs. Weather hits the 60's so often here in central S.C. that in Jan and Feb I move the plants outside on most days and just use the lights as supplemental.
Alex, what is that drop dead LOW TEMP that will keep you from putting the plants outside. I checked the 10 day forcast here and we have low 60s for high and low 40s for low. I fell like that is not quite "put them outiside" weather yet.

what do you think?

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Wasn't sure about the height.
on the other side of the room I have a shelf. Afoot and half wide and maybe 15if to 20 feet long but full of junk (summer cleaning).
Right now I have it on a nice sized art desk so it works out.
I've seen your set up and its nice ill get there one day.

thanks for the help.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If it is sunny and above 50 to mid 60's the plants go into a portable Juwel cold frame. If it is mid sixties or higher, like today, the plants go directly in the sunshine to also get the benefit of the breeze. Exposure to direct sunlight and breeze on mild days makes the plants greener and more stocky, plus eliminates the need for any hardening off.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-01_14-47-35_853.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-01_14-51-47_322.jpg[/img]

I put the matts on some styrofoam that about 1 1/2 thick to make them closer to the lights. The lights are 4 inches above the soil. There's 3 bar lights.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Keep an eye on the foam. Is it a heat resistant foam?

Eric

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Think it was used to ship dry ice.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

the trays I have would it be better to water them from the top or bottom?
The bottom and let the soil soak up the water?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry about the triple post - mods can delete the extra if they come by.... sometimes the computer goes a little crazy.

Yes, bottom watering is much preferable. That's a lot of why you have the trays. Just pour a little water in the bottom of your tray, just enough so that it touches the bottom of the soil, so the soil can wick it up. No more than 1/4" deep. The ones on the heat mats I add more water every morning, because they dry out faster. Things that aren't on the heat mat may only need water added every other day or so.

Watering is the trickiest part of this process. You can't let seeds or baby seedlings dry out or they die, but they are also very vulnerable to over watering. After you have done it a little bit you will get a sense of how to do it for your plants and your set up and what little plants look like if they are too wet or too dry. To start with just be careful. More seedlings are killed with too much water than too little - we all want to love our little seedling babies and be good to them! :)

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-24_13-00-01_390.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-24_13-00-26_728.jpg[/img]
I would like to get one more 4 foot bar.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good! But yes, I agree for that many plants you need another light fixture/ bar.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”