GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I'm feel alittle lost but I'm trying to stay on track.
So peppers and tomatos need heat.
But broccoli and cabage you would just put in a tray and use a sun light?

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Did some looking
So far seeds I'm planting on the heat mat are 19 diffrent peppers.
7 diffrent tomatoes
2 tomatillas
And a mix of herbs

I have a extra light
But not heating matt.
What can I do?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Broccoli and cabbage I would just put in a tray under lights (in fact I have broccoli seeds that have sprouted that way). I'm guessing you might be able to just start them outdoors. I have broccoli outdoors that I planted in the fall that are still going because we have had such a mild winter. But by mild, I mean we have had a few nights down in the teens. It's very tough stuff....

As far as the rest, it is a ton of stuff, I hope you are planning a huge garden. ... I know from the pictures that you have the room for it, but it is a whole bunch of work trying to get that big a garden space ready, when it hasn't been gardened before. The secret to successful gardening is in your soil.

In the meantime, you have a couple choices about all those seeds. As far as stuff that needs to be started indoors, it does seem like there's lots more that needs the heat mats than not. So the choices are get another mat (I run two of them) and/ or be patient. Plant things very crowded on your heat mat and just use it for germinating them. By the time the seedlings get true leaves, they can come off the heat mat (and get spread around more, less crowded) and make room for the next batch. So you become a serial seed starter! It might mean some seeds don't get started quite as early as they might have, but you have a long growing season, you have time....

That picture I showed you, most of all those plants on the two shelves got started on the two mats. Then they just keep getting moved out and spread out more and more as they get bigger. I pretty much transplant most of my seedlings three times-- from crowded on the heat mat, to one per cell off the mat, to one per 3" pot, to the ground or large container where it is finally going to grow.

AZCricket

This will be my first Spring as a gardener and I'm starting off rather simple (if a little late).

I use the Jiffy seed-starting trays with the pellets and started radishes about a week ago. They've already gotten big enough to go into the pots on my balcony.

[img]https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Miyuko142/radplanter1.jpg[/img]

Started some Nevada lettuce at the same time, though I'm still waiting for them to get a bit bigger to plant them.

Also started some spinach and snow peas the other day. :)

I'm really excited hehe.

HannahGrace

I ordered some seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed company earlier this week and they arrived in the mail today! I think I'm going to go celebrate! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!!!

I now have broccoli, spearmint, geraniums, petunias, and dill that have sprouted!

superschwein22
Cool Member

I just placed my order with Jung's at the beginning of the week and my seed starting kit is due to arrive on Monday. How long does it normally take Jung to send out? Does anybody know?
I hope, I am not too late.
Rainbow? You have Petunias already? Should I start them as soon as I get them in? Gosh, I hope I at least get a few healthy looking plants during my first year, lol.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ss22... you are doing fine. You are in MA, north of me, so you needed to be a little behind me in timing. Looks like your average last frost date might be end of April, a couple weeks later than mine. I started the petunias a little earlier this year than some times, possibly too early.

Jung's is pretty fast. I think from when I got my order confirmation email it was 4-5 days until the seeds arrived.

The question isn't the timing, it's the appropriate conditions for the seeds once you get them. The petunia seeds sprouted considerably faster than the seed packet suggested, perhaps because I could give them pretty optimum conditions with light, heat, moisture, etc.

It's barely Feb, you have a long time yet before you will be planting anything outside. Breathe easy !! :)
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was out weeding in my garden yesterday! Usually this time of year my ground would be frozen solid and/or under 3" of snow. It was simultaneously lovely to be outside, hands in the dirt, enjoying the sunshine and a little bit global-warming-all-the-systems-are-out-of-whack-creepy. Probably I could be planting all the "as soon as the ground can be worked" crops now, more than a month early... my ground can certainly be worked.....

superschwein22
Cool Member

Thank you, Rainbow, that makes me feel at ease. I knew that I would need to start a bit early this year but I was really surprised when I read your post, lol.
Yeah, have been weeding quite a few times this winter already. Crazy year. I'm not complaining, I just hope it doesn't bite us and it drops again because that would really screw me up.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So my broccoli is now 36 sturdy little 2" plants with true leaves showing, all nicely transplanted to 1 per cell.

Sprouted is geranium, thyme, petunia, celery, dill, fennel, coleus, spearmint, canterbury bells.

Planted but not yet sprouted is bell boy green peppers, impatiens, basil red rubins, salvia, parsley, rosemary.

I managed to drop and break my camera :cry: or I would show you a picture...

Well in to seed starting season!!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Planted some of my home grown seeds (all the above was commercial):

green peppers, climbing snapdragon, purple wave petunia, dwarf yellow marigold.

Pulled more of the sprouted ones off the heat mat to make room for the above.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Basil red rubin sprouted in just 3 days, is now looking sturdy and healthy.

Green pepper bell boy is just now sprouting after 6 days.

The teeny little spearmints are getting their true leaves and they are so crowded together, I am starting to transplant some out to 2/ cell (and cull a bunch). I swear those things have a 150% germination rate!

No sign of the parsley yet after 2 weeks. Parsley can be slow, so too early to give up on it, but it was 2010 seed, so possibly not viable any more.

(and incidentally on a different topic, my kitchen is full of the smell of lemon basil, which I harvested from the Aerogarden and am oven drying; lovely! I now have a whole spice jar of it, harvested from one litle pkant under the little light.)

superschwein22
Cool Member

Wow, you're growing like crazy over there. I have decided to start my seeds as soon as they come in (which should be any day now), since some of the are petunias and I think they need a little bit longer. In general, the winter doesn't seem to ever happen this year and I am anticipating a very early spring.
Exciting.

vebyrd36

I started some more maters, peppers, and some flower seed yesterday.

superschwein22
Cool Member

Okay, the time has come. Tomorrow, I am starting Petunias, Snapdragons and Geraniums.
Next week it's time for Rudbeckia and the week after that I am starting Delphiniums.
I am super excited.
I am starting them on a 72 cell seed starter kit with a heat mat underneath. The individual cup is about 2" in diameter. Do I do one seed per cell? And when is it time to use the light? Do I have to use it at all? They probably wouldn't get enough light if I didn't I am assuming...
I hope that I will get at least some plants out of this. I only bought one seed package each and I am not sure about the germination rate but I just didn't want it to be overkill as I am just starting out and feel like I could be easily overwhelmed f I attempted too much.

lily51
Greener Thumb

My geraniums are getting their first true leaves, will make first transplant next week. Petunias, pansies, sage, oregano, dusty miller, pearl wort are up.
Will be starting seeds each week now, with the pace in a crescendo until April!
It's always exciting when seedlings start growing!
Rainbow... It always amazes me how much further ahead cinci is over my area of north central Ohio! Lucky you! :) Enjoy!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, we are a bit protected in the Ohio River Valley, gives us a little milder climate than anywhere else in Ohio. It is always amazing to me, how much colder and windier flat Dayton, one hour north of me is than here.

Yes, I am now officially 8 weeks before average last frost date so this weekend will be a big planting time for me. I'm planning to move almost everything off the heat mats that is there now and plant tomatoes, basil, and lots of other stuff. The stuff that gets moved off the heat mats all needs to get spread out from being very crowded.

So right now I have four flats of seeds/seedlings under 2 sets of shop lights. By the end of the weekend, I will have at least double that (in flats and lights). AND the first things planted outdoors!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Still working on all the indoor planting; I'll update that later, but I planted the first outdoor bed today, mostly spring greens.

The bed has onions, scallions, purple radish in a mixed row. Lettuce and spinach in a mixed row. It has a row of swiss chard. In that row are 4 of last years chard plants. After looking totally wilted for two months, they perked themselves back up. As I understand it (not having usually done this), this year it is likely to bolt soon after the weather warms up, being biennial. So I figure at that point I can pull them and just spread the new ones out a little more.

Also there's a row that has 4 tiny lettuce plants and two tiny spinach plants. They are way too tiny to be plants that over-wintered from last spring planting (I didn't put any fall planted greens in this bed), so I figure the lettuce and spinach that I let bolt and go to seed last year, must have succeeded in re-seeding itself a little bit! Too cool! I haven't seen it do that before, but I worked a little harder last year at scattering and patting in some of the seed. Later I can fill that row in with transplants from the other overcrowded rows.

So my spring greens bed has a big jump on spring - some over wintered stuff, some re-seeded stuff, and this year's seeds planted about a month earlier than usual. But it was 50 degrees out, the ground has been workable for a couple weeks and in the whole 10 day forecast, highs are 40's to low 50's, lows are just above freezing. So I figured why no go for it!

superschwein22
Cool Member

Yay spring is right. I had my first crocus bloom this morning. I consider this my first success in my first gardening year.
Can't wait for more to pop up.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Yeah I did see them sorry lol.
I was sick for about the time I first got on this forum tell now.
I've been kinda in and out of it. But I remember now RG lol and yeah that is nearly free. The tree I wanted they won't ship to ca tho :( .
Don't worry I haven't forgot all the stuff I read I might have asked about it more then once.
Heat mats,trays/flats/cells etc..
And lights(still need to look into diffrent lights)
Temp and light cycle.
Watering from bottom if you can.
Thinning and placing each plant to there own cell. (Some will be lost)
Move to 3 inch pot with shading other plants.
Then into ground.
Next ill look into the soil I've bought some compost and started my own compost bin.
I've been pulling weeds and have a rototiller to help alittle.
Ill be looking into what all I can do with cold frames and a green house.
And I've have my Hardening off process started.
I have some extra lights and heat mats.

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-17_09-10-07_662.jpg[/img]

Will sunlight still get threw this panel? I'm thinking of moving my plants out here when there in there 3 inch pots for more room. The sun is above this spot around 3 to 5 intell sunset.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Probably enough for their first step in hardening off. Probably not a place where you could leave things that need lots of sun, like tomatoes and peppers, for too long.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My first tomatoes are sprouted! The Delicious and Ultimate Opener sprouted just like three days after planting. That was a couple days ago that the first ones showed. No sign yet of the heirloom varieties from webmaster.

Planted nicotiana and summer savory. Have cardinal climber seeds soaking.

Now I'm in that phase where I keep transplanting and potting up and it seems like the plants keep multiplying. I swear I counted 36 broccoli plants to be potted up. I potted up 36 of them and there are still 6 waiting. I haven't yet filled up.

Haven't yet finished filling up the first 8' shelf with seeds and seedlings, which was supposed to be done this weekend. Not for lack of plants, just ran out of potting soil and time...

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I got some from the webmaster also (red boar) and one marked SC. The red boar I planted and it popped up nice I keep the temp at 75. 36 broccoli plants yours went crazy also. How many will you keep? only 2 people in this house like to eat it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A bunch of them will get sold off. Not sure yet how many I will keep, because not sure what my over-wintered broccoli is going to do. I had broccoli I planted too late in the fall for it to make a fall crop. Normally it would have just gotten killed off, but our winter has been so mild, it may actually make it through. I'm still not quite sure if it is going to make heads or what it will do at this point. If it looks like all of that is going to turn in to broccoli, then I will only keep a few of the new ones.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Green peppers have true leaves now, two weeks after the seeds were planted. Continuing to plant, today planted sweet alyssum and sage. The first shelf is now filled and I will soon switch on the third pair of lights (starting on the second shelf)...

Looking at our weather forecast, I think the broccoli plants will go out Sun afternoon for their first taste of the outdoors, to start hardening...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just updating... along with all the above, I have now planted nasturtium, purple millet. hyacinth bean vine, nicotiana. I replanted salvia and parsley since some of my 2010 seeds didn't take and planted some more of webmaster's heirloom tomatoes.

Broccoli, dill and fennel are still going in and out hardening off, since the weather has so been so variable and lots of strong wind storms. We didn't get tornados where I am, but very windy thunderstorms. Not good weather for little seedlings. Green pepper and cardinal climber have been potted up... Long way to go with all the transplanting and up-potting!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Quick update. Planted squash yesterday (indoors under the lights). A little early for it, not even April yet, but we are having such an early spring.

It changes day by day, but currently 13 trays of seeds/ seedlings under the lights, 11 trays out on the deck hardening off and I've planted a bunch of stuff and sold off 60 pots....

applestar
Mod

You're off to a well-organized great start as usual :D :mrgreen:

I said I was going to try to direct seed as much as possible this year, but I have my tomato starts sunning outside and just up potted some broccoli though I had originally intended to transplant them outside. I still might but the rows of crucifers I sowed under the insect screen tunnel are all starting to sprout. -- I might end up giving these starts to my Dad.

In fact, everything is coming up outside and I'm thinking I need some more sophisticated hand weeders. 8) :roll:

Temps are supposed to come back down in the 40's at night so my tomatoes' overnight camp outs are done as of tomorrow night until it gets warmer again. But this will be good forthe spring crops. Maybe they'll manage to make it before the sudden summer comes.

Inside, I have so many little starts going and I sowed some more stuff today (Malabar spinach, True Potato Seeds, and Cleome).... :oops: ...though I do think I'm being restrained this year.... :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday I put the first tomatoes, peppers and basil out on the deck to start hardening off and today some more.

Planted acorn, delicata, and zucchini squash, cucumbers, moonflower, statice indoors under lights. That's the LAST! Nothing more gets planted indoors!

Between what's on the deck and what is under the lights, there's over 400 plants and I've sold 90 and planted a bunch....

Fall planted broccoli and spinach continue to thrive and be amazingly productive in the new front lawn bed and the garlic there is looking very large and healthy.

My tomato plants are amazing this year, up potted in to the large drink cups, because they outgrew the 3" pots. A foot tall and wide, thick stemmed, well branched, leafy and just looking so healthy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am so pleased with my new (last fall) sunny front lawn bed! It's got two closely spaced 10 foot rows of fall planted spinach in it that are just going to town. We've had spinach lasagna, spinach noodles, spinach omlettes, spinach salads and still it was getting ahead of me. So last night, I picked about two gallons of spinach leaves, washed, de-stemmed, chopped, blanched, cooled, and froze them. Made most of a quart of frozen spinach. Makes this city girl feel so earth-mother-ish to be doing that kind of thing.

Off to go pick lilac flowers for my lilac wine project (different thread)!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My potatoes have been sprouted for a few days now! They are such pretty plants. I would grow them as ornamentals even if they didn't make potatoes.

On a different note, it's just the beginning of April and I have already been covered in spider bites and now have poison ivy on both arms... Sometimes I do wonder why I like gardening; I'm so sensitive to all that stuff.

applestar
Mod

Aww.... Do you have Jewelweed? That or plantain are excellent field remedy for bites. Ever since I had a horrendous poison ivy reaction, I have to be very careful and try to uproot them as seedlings. It must be tough tending your hillside. In this instance, birds are no help at all the way they "spread" them around.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately, I have tried a few times to get jewelweed started on my hillside, but it hasn't taken. I do have plantain and I always use it for bee stings, didn't think about it for the poison ivy. It's not a serious case, just a couple streaks where I must have brushed past some. This time of year it's still not real leafed out, so harder to spot than later.

Just a comment that how I spend the growing season tends to be covered in red bumps, scratches, scabs, bruises, etc..... Not a pretty sight!

applestar
Mod

Last year when I had poison ivy (I was pulling up a biggish seedling using a plastic bag in dog poop technique and it touched me) I stuffed a jar full of jewel weed and plantain + a bit of peppermint (cooling anesthetic) and covered them with witch hazel - oh what is that liquid called?
Anyway, I used that after washing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seedlings are starting to get a little raggedy from waiting for the weather to cooperate. We keep having a week of perfect weather and then one or two nights that go down almost to freezing.

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/seedlings2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/seedlings4-5-12.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Oh my, you ARE in trouble -- but some of mine aren't too far behind at about 8" (with a couple of one footers in one gallon containers -- these are the ones my MIL started early... yellow Brandywine). They are in my cold garage so they've slowed down, but every time I take them out for the day, they jump in growth.

Any chance you could use some kind of a cover or are there somethings in the beds already that make it difficult? My main tomato row this year is full of arugula and turnips right now, but in another area, the tall peas have been decimated by chipmunks or something so sort of available.

I really need to uppot the hot peppers so I'm about to kick my taller tomato seedlings out in the "greenhouse" shelving outside (but it's still 39°) -- am not really sure if tomatoes would be OK in there with it zipped up if temps go down to low 30's overnight as predicted for the next week. I do have three 1 gallon jugs of water in the bottom....

Was also considering rigging a 1/2 tent of plastic sheeting and planting out a few... But my last average frost is last week of April. :?

Still, this has been a very productive spring so far. My early spring crops went in earlier than normal with no fear of hard freezes, and are coming along very well and enjoying what is to them the perfect temperature range.

applestar
Mod

This week has been a bear! Days nice and sunny but nights going down to 30's. But I decided to leave the tomato seedlings outside:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/40514b11.jpg[/img]

This unit comes with a double zippered front flap, a zippered vent on the back near the top and a shade cover and a blackout cover (which is supposed to be useful for photo sensitive blooming as well as for using the shelves for storage)

During days with temps in the upper 50's or above, both front zippers are opened and the flap rolled up and the back vent flap is also rolled up. We had a couple of days initially when it was super sunny but extra windy. So I opened everything but slipped the shade cover on to protect both from the sun as well as to break up the force of the wind.

Yesterday and today, it was chilly just hovering in the upper 40's to mid 50's so I opened the front zips only a little bit and unzipped but not rolled up the back vent.

For the overnight 30's I decided that if I used the woven shade cover to create air space THEN put the black nylon cover on top, I might be able to get away with leaving them out. I went out 1/2 hr before sunset while the sun was still up to close up everything and put the two covers on, then in the morning, I waited until the sun came around to this part of the garden and started shining on the upper corner of the black cover before going out and removing both covers to let the sun warm up the air inside through the clear plastic. Until the daytime temps got sufficiently warm, I just unzipped the upper vent a few inches and opened the front zip on the opposite corner a few inches so a slight thermal dynamic draft would start up.
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/4fe87004.jpg[/img]

So far it seems to be working well and as of today, the seedlings are looking stockier and sturdier. Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow (after another forecast low of 37°F=>typically 34~35°F in my garden)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks good! I have made a home made version in past years by wrapping a metal shelf system in plastic, with velcro strip down the middle to open/close it. This year it warmed up so fast, I never bothered to put it together.

We had two nights of frost after I put tomatoes in the ground. I covered the whole bed they were in with the motorcycle cover, right over the top of all the cages and stakes. It is big enough to reach the ground that way and get tucked in and weighted down. It is black and heavy/ insulated. So I just left it on for a couple days and everything in there stayed in the dark. Took it off this AM and everything looks fine, except it looks like slugs kind of had a party on my broccoli, there in the dark.

Indoor seed starting is winding down. Everything has been potted up, the heat mats are off, three of the light fixtures are off. There's 9 trays of plants left down there. I've sold 115 plants, will be taking 5 more trays in this weekend to sell. Planted a bunch already, have 9 more trays hardening off besides the 5 to sell this weekend, some of which are for me and some of which will get sold later.

Within a week or so the indoor seed starting will be all closed down!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well it took longer than a week, partly due to weather issues, partly to my time constraints, but the last seedlings are now out on the deck to harden off and all the lights are off. No more seed starting this year.

Tons of stuff still to plant though, lots of seedlings and some trees/ shrubs I ordered.

Last plant sale at Quaker Meeting will be this Sun. Right now I've got about a dozen trays on the deck, some will get planted, some will get sold and then I will start giving stuff away. I've sold about 200 plants so far....

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”