OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Finally my Heatmat is here

So today I got my HeatMat, it makes me so happy its weird, I'm ready to start my seeds right, now they suggest a dome to keep in moisture but wouldn't this create mold or something? If I put something I'm going with plastic wrap, also em I suppose to leave the heat mat connected all day everyday?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, run the heat mat 24/7. Once the seeds are well sprouted and have at least their first true leaves, they don't need to stay on the mat, it is really mainly for germinating the seeds.

I don't use any humidity dome or anything, because of the risk of damping off. Lots of people do use them, but if you do, be sure to remove it as soon as the seeds start sprouting. If you are going to use something, I would think the dome would be better than the plastic wrap (a little more room for air circulation under it). But really, they aren't needed and can be seedling killers.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh ok thanks I just hope it don't take too much time to sprout

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Your gonna love your heat mat. Yes leave it on till they sprout as Rainbow said. They work wonders with starting plants that need warmth to germinate.

Remember to cut a few day's to a week or so off your normal starting time cause it will sprout seedlings faster.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I heard that they can cook your seeds if left for too long?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote:I heard that they can cook your seeds if left for too long?
They don't get that hot. But do keep an eye on them and keep them moist not "wet".

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Alright! thanks :D

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I got a heat mat and tried some diffrent seed. Its been a week or so and nothing.
I left the cover on and have 2 grow lights on them.(over kill?)
my house stays around 60you in temp to 65.
I did some onion seeds,artichoke and carrots.
Am I on the right track or way off.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ericmgilson wrote:I got a heat mat and tried some diffrent seed. Its been a week or so and nothing.
I left the cover on and have 2 grow lights on them.(over kill?)
my house stays around 60you in temp to 65.
I did some onion seeds,artichoke and carrots.
Am I on the right track or way off.
Look at your seed packet for germination times and temps. The artichoke seed is typically 10 -14 days as is the onion, carrots maybe a bit longer, but it depends on what specific varieties you planted.

But root crops like the onions and carrots are usually planted directly in the ground, they don't take well to being transplanted. And carrots are a cool weather crop; the seed packet will tell you plant "as soon as the ground can be worked." Onion seeds, if they are bulbing onions, are usually planted in the ground in October to make bulbs the following summer.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but every plant has its own specific requirements and it helps to do some homework first.

The good news is that seeds are cheap! Your carrots probably cost you something like $1.50 - $3 for some hundreds of seeds. Presumably you didn't plant them all indoors, so plant the rest directly in the ground.

If you want to keep trying with your indoor carrots, here's a thread where one of the mods applestar gave instructions about how to transplant them, since it's a bit tricky:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183390#183390

As soon as the ground can be worked, means it is unfrozen and dried out enough to be crumbly, not clumpy. For me that is usually somewhere around mid-March depending on rainfall. For you in zone 7B, it's probably a bit earlier. At that point, make a nice seed bed and plant some carrot seed outdoors. You could plant some onion seed too since you have it. It may not bulb up much, but you could use it as green onions.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

No that's fine I only did about 6the seeds of each.
I'm new to all of this and there so much to learn.
I think ill save them all for outside. I've done artichoke in a jiffy house before tho.
thanks for the tip.
peppers and tomatoes ok for a inside start?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, peppers and tomatoes are the most common indoor starting, because they take a pretty long season to produce (especially the peppers) and benefit from the head start. Tomatoes also actually benefit from being transplanted a couple times (e.g. cell or small pot, to bigger pot, to ground), if you bury it deeper eah time than it was beore. Tomatoes will root all along the buried stem, thus increasing their root system. On your heat mat the tomatoes should germinate in a week or even a little less, peppers in a week or a little more.

Tonio
Green Thumb

agreed 'bout peppers, they are sllloooowwww :wink:
Iv'e had a few that finally show signs of true leaves after 3 weeks.

T

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

What temp are tomatoes and peppers?
do you use a grow light how far do you set the light?
and do you use the dome or take it off?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a chart of temps for germinating different seeds:

https://www.heirloomseeds.com/germination.html

but really if you read your seed packets they should tell you.

Definitely lights, you can't really grow seedlings for sun lovers like tomatoes and peppers on a window sill. Lights should be just about 3" over your plants, hung on chains so they can be raised as the plants grow.

I don't use humidity domes, but if you do, remove them as soon as the seeds sprout.

You could do some browsing around this section. There's lots of info about how to start seeds and pictures of people's seed starting set ups.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Thanks and ill look around abit.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ericmgilson, I sent you a PM.

Eric

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”