Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Sea weed & fish mix for my seedlings 36 ounce liquid!

I went to the garden center yesterday and ask for sea weed liquid. They were just opening up the boxes of the new containers of the Neptunes Harvest liquid fertilizer. I looked at all three different bottles of fish , sea weed and a mix of both. I chose the mix of oth sea weed and fish in a 36 ounce bottle for $17. Question if I put the mix in a gallon of water with a delute mix will it go bad n a few weeks? Also will a clear bottle and the light effect the mix? It is organic and I see i all over the web now and even Amazon!
+++
I liked the numbers on the mix 2-3-1 where the sea weed mix had 0-0-0- I guess the fish mix with the sea weed mix helped get the numbers!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I figure I paid too much because garden centers are noted for that. If I find itfor $10 anywhere I will take it back. Here is a link to it. I think this will make my seedlings grow much better!
+++

https://avplanters.com/pro1367257.html
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I tried seaweed and fish emulsion once on my seedlings once and it killed them I guess I mixed it to strong. I just stick to a seaweed solution until I have them hardened off outside. How does the neptunes harvest work for you I have heard good things.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I will let you know I have not tried it yet. I will use about 10 % of what they say. A real light amount is always better especially for delicate seedlings!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I use some in my bottom watering system. If you top water it may encourage algae.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03232.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03233.jpg[/img]

Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I keep extra fish emusion or seaweed dilute in the fridge, and it lasts forever, well, until I need it again. One of the many pleasures of living alone 8)

BTW, what great stuff you have started there, Eric! What are they all? When will you put them outside?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

One of the many pleasures of living alone
Stella, The things we get away with. :wink: :lol:

I need to be better with picture titles. These are not current pictures, but sometime last year.

Sorry for the confusion
Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Any pictures from DD are worth a 1000 words. I would rather see the pictures than and Double Talk from Double Dog!Just kidding! He is a well informed person and i listen when he speaks!
Last edited by Bobberman on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

All the bottles of fish/seaweed fert. i have used say to use immediately or with 24 hours. I have also read that in different places. They may be wrong and I don't know what happens to it....

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I drink milk past the expiration date, too :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

clear bottle

Hello Bobberman, I think a clear bottle may grow unwanted algae. Maybe a tinted container of some kind. I have used the Alaskan fish emulsion before in low quantities and it works well. I would wait until the plants develope before adding the emulsion as it may bring unwanted pests that real small plants cant handle... Eric, is your system a fabric wicking system? :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good point. I will do that and wait till they get their first true leaves!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sorry Shawn, I think Alaskan Fish is nasty stuff. Hydrolyzed fish is better IMHO. :P

My shelf is a flood and drain setup. Hydroponics hybrid.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03166.jpg[/img]

[url=https://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16]My Green House Pictures[/url]

Eric

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

irrigation system

Hello Eric, My thoughts exactly. It appears to be a hybrid ebb and flow system very nice. We use a simular system on drain tables. Its a very efficient way to go. :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

So you guys are saying use the mix when you mix it and don't save it too long! Should I se 10% on seedlings what they recomend for plants or what?

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

keeping the mix

I will mitigate to Eric he has had more experience with fish emulsion. I wouldnt think you would want to leave it out too awful long. I Couldnt imagine leaving it out in the heat we have down here for any length of time as with most organic fertilizers it would get real ripe, real quick.

Might I suggest a bio organic fertilizer. The product name is Rhizogen. It contains 7 different Bacillus and piles of other nitrogen fixing bio compounds. Start with a sterile medium peat/perilite (50/50 blend) add around 1/2 cup of 4-2-2 per 1 gallon container. The fertilizer can be added directly into your mixture when starting veggie seeds. Once the plants have put down healthy roots a top dress can be added and subsequently watered in. Its also water soluble and can be applied as a sort of tea, this stuff really works well. Be careful not to breathe it in as it containes active cultures, (don't stick your head in the bag and take a deep breath) these cultures are native to most soils but are found condensed in this particular fertilizer. The results this product produces are astonding and will most likley be added to the arsonal of anyone that tries it.

Rhizogen web page
https://rhizogen.com/pro/?page_id=125 :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Stoped at Agway today and picked p some manure compost and some potting soil. The sea weed fish mix was $15.99 there! They did get most of their seeds in but they seemed high priced! I think I will order more seeds from Shrum way tomorrow. I will probably order 1/4 pound of french breakfast radish for $3.95.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

$6.95
https://www.rhshumway.com/dp.asp?pID=03350&c=119&p=French+Breakfast+Radish

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:$6.95
Thanks for the link. That is different from what I bought. I think I paid too much but I have not seen it before to compare the price ill today at Agway. Usuall Agway is a little more money. Agway does have good prices on bulk seeds like climbing beans and zucks in bulk!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I think I will order more seeds from Shrum way tomorrow. I will probably order 1/4 pound of french breakfast radish for $3.95.
$6.95 per 1/4 pound NOT $3.95.

Shumway not Shrum way

French Breakfest @ R.H Shumway

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Its $3.95 in my book which I have just ordered from this past 60 days! You must have the regular catalog nt theHPS catalog at www.hpsseeds.com .. I think you will find much better prices here! French breakfast is #03350 1/4 pound for $3.95. The most expensive is Parat German giant $11.95 per 1/4 pound! Peas are really cheap also with Mammoth melting sugar at $1.85 a pound when you but 5 pound min.

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”