dsyukon

Jalapeno & Bell Pepper

Started some bell pepper and jalapeno seeds about a week ago. Hopefully it is nor too early. Got them in starter seed pots in the house at night and set out in the sun during the day. It is about 50 degrees here in Humble, Is it too cold for me to set them out today ?
All suggestions welcomed.

Thanx in advance.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Under a Light might get the soil warm, I have a bulb that produces a good amount of light and some heat, Just enough for the soil to be warm, and as seedlings the light helps too

jnunez918

I have some pepper sprouts I grew under a desk lamp

Halfway
Green Thumb

Seems the earlier the better for the midwest. They need all the extra time to flower that you can give them. I had them under lights at 14 hours on, 10 off from February until hardening off in early May.

That seemed to help with early September harvests. If not, late September risks a frost and seems to slow the ripening too much.

dsyukon

Thanx to all. I think that I need to heat them up. Been planted for about 2 weeks and no sign of a germination. They are slso inside if a huge ziploc bag with a crack in the seal, Starting to see some type if fungus also. I will try to post a pic.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pepper seeds generally don't germinate unless the soil temperature is around 75 degrees. Browse around this Seed Starting Forum for lots of ideas and pictures of how people do it.

quiltbea

Pepper seeds will germinate in 6-8 days at 80-85*F.
When putting them outdoors, SOIL temps should be 70-85* for good growth.

jnunez918

you could always move to texas where it is 75 degrees in january :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OP LIVES in Texas -- Humble, TX to be exact.

bg
Cool Member

I used those clear plastic cups and cut holes in the bottom and side for drainage to start some of my seeds last year, and worked out pretty nicely. I didn't have any issues when starting my seeds indoors, since as long as I'm comfortable inside (usually I am cold easy anyway, so keeping about 70ish inside anyhow) they seemed to be so as well.

Just don't over water, or over dry the soil. Letting the soil dry out some helps to keep away the gnats. The clear plastic helps to see the actual moisture level in the soil for the starters, and you will be able to see when to up pot from the roots.

As for the temp outside around here, since you're quite close to my area.. I'd wait to put them outside. At least until the cold fluctuations die down a bit, maybe another month or so. That and it has been quite windy lately, too. Some days would be fine, just need to keep up with the weather, though I hear another cold front may be moving in soon with the rain.

One more thing, about this area, the sun in the summer will be extremely unforgiving if you don't watch your plants... I would almost swear my plants were yo-yo's last year, watching them fall over in the day and rise up again at night, even with a shade cloth and keeping them watered with cool water without over watering. Having the shade cloth has helped me out tremendously, though.

Now, if they're not seedlings yet, I personally wouldn't bother putting them in the sun as long as it's a nice temp inside, until they sprout and need the light.

I have some in ground pepper plants right now, which are doing fine in the 50's and up, but I also have them inside plastic all day and with a heat lamp at night when it gets cold. The temp during the day, is usually around 60-70, inside the plastic, and have seen it as high as 80+ on warmer days.

Good luck with them though ;3

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”