OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Some seeds have not Sprouted YetYet

If a batch of seeds that I planted 11/27 have not sprouted should I leave em to see if they germinate? Or should I Reuse the dirt for a new batch?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It really depends on the kind of seeds you planted. Some seeds will sprout in a few days to a couple of weeks, while others can take a much longer time, even up to months. I remember the first time I planted lavender seeds. They took all summer to sprout. I had just about given up on them, when I noticed the first tiny seedling. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Kisal wrote: I remember the first time I planted lavender seeds. They took all summer to sprout. I had just about given up on them, when I noticed the first tiny seedling. :)

Haha, here too. Those stinkin' lavender seeds take FOR-EV-ERRRR!

I agree with K by the way. Let us know what you planted that you are still waiting on. Sometimes things take a long time. Also, what are the temps where you are trying to germinate them. Are you keeping them moist? One problem with slow germinating seeds is that you run the risk of the soil drying out when they have sprouted roots but not yet broken the soil surface. That would leave you with a plant that died before you ever even go to see it.

What are all the conditions of the seed sprouting area?

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I Keep them inside, and they are mostly Tomato and Pepper seeds, and normally they sprout about 1 week but for some reason this had not yet

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Btw I keep them Moist as soon as I see it getting dry on the top, and its inside so the temp. is about 70*

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Well, if it's in the same conditions as all of your other tomatoes and has not sprouted within 2 weeks of the other ones, personally, I'd move on and reseed. ESPECIALLY if it's the same variety as others that have already sprouted. 70* is actually just a bit cool for sprouting tomatoes I think, but it shouldn't slow up germination that much.

It's been almost a month. Maybe give 'em one more week. (if you really want to) I'd bet they were duds. Maybe not saved properly or for whatever reason not viable.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well they are all diferent type of tomatos and difrent peppers so idk what to do, cuz they are all diferent, and if its the cold well then maybe someplace warmer but 1 week sounds good

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, if they haven't sprouted yet, they are not likely to. You can check by digging around where you planted them, see if you can find one and check on its condition. What often happens is if the seed doesn't germinate for whatever reason, then sitting in moist soil, it just rots away. You may not even be able to find any. If you find some and they look healthy, swelled up from when you planted it and with some root sprouting, you can give it a bit longer, but that's not my guess of what you will find.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well I'm going to dig alil on all of em, by now they should have some roots if not I'm going to change seeds and hope for the best on the next ones

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Just wen I lost all hope and about to recycle the pots from the seeds I see 1 sprouting, feels like christmas came early, that is just 1 so I'm going to give the rest a couple more days, warm water and extra care

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”