OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Is it Too late or Right time For Radish and Cabbage?

I got alot of Radish and cabbage seeds, is it too late to plant the seeds or do they do better in spring and summer?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Start cabbage in the greenhouse in two more months but not outside. Radish grows quick and will start in april even in the greenhouse.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

My better question would be if they grow on cold climate or hot? I don't have a greenhouse, and is that because they need warmer temps as seeds?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yes they are cold crops. My radishes are growing amazing right now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman is in PA and probably not attending to the fact that you are in So Cal. Radishes and cabbage are cool weather crops and for you not too late to start them now. Definitely you do NOT want to try to grow them in So Cal summer!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Where you are would be a good time to plant them I could do it here but I'm not fond of radishcycles. It's already freezing here but in So Cal I would assume it is about the right temp for those plants.

What is your normal temps for Dec?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The ontario threw me and I did not see the ca. so I thought it was canada! Ya my radish even though we had several low 20's temp are still growing along with the brussle sprouts!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well with this in mind I should plant the seeds right now, and thanks

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote:Well with this in mind I should plant the seeds right now, and thanks
I am not familiar with your climate. I seem to remember you saying something about a relative keeping a tomato going like the perennial it really is. So it is hard to say without knowing what temps you have now and will expect for the next few month's.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Just pulled this out of the garden

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2301.jpg[/img]

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Wow, what is the red and white long ones called?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The red one is called Salad Rose and the long white one is called Icicle.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think the salad rose is a longer growing radish like 45 days and the white one is a 28 day! The winter radish or a 60 dayradish will not go to seed as fast. I like planting a mix of all types of radish. you can't beat a radish with a little salt! Radish leaves are good feed for rabbits and a great compost material!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I'm sure the leafs would be great for my ducks as they eat half my garden -_- and I'm going to try and go buy some of those seeds at walmart if they have em, seem easy and fun to grow in this cold weather, specially since nothing else would grow in this cold.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote: nothing else would grow in this cold.
Cold? According to Intellicast your daytime temps for next ten days are in the sixties; night time temps in the forties, with a couple nights in the high thirties. Not very cold to us people that live in winter climates! Tons of things will grow in those temps. Not the real summer crops like tomatoes and peppers and squash, but all the cool weather crops: lettuce, swiss chard, spinach and all the other green leafies, all the root crops like carrots, potatoes, turnips, etc, all the brassicas like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more (plus of course lots of flowers and herbs).

I still have broccoli, lettuce, spinach and chard going strong in my garden and we've had a number of frosts, temps down to 28 and a couple dustings of snow so far.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Damn then there is a high number of cold climate veggies, I'm expection some carrots from a trade but the person either didnt send em or they are taking toooooo long, but I'm look at things to grow right now, as I started gardening this fall, and only know about spring crops.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Carrots take awhile to mature. They say 75 days average. I started some seeds September 1st and they still are not ready. I think in about 2 more weeks they will be a nice size. If I pulled them now they'd be small. I have pulled 2 of them so far one was regular size and nice. The other was on the small size. But both tasted so good. The carrots you grow are way better than the store kind.

Radishes grow really fast. well, Most of them do, some varieties take longer. Beets are another good winter crop, they take about 60 days. I have pulled one up so far, the other are still a little too small. The good thing about these roots crops is you can kinda tell when they are ready cause part of their root/bulb pops out from the soil so you can see the size. Another way to check is gently wipe away some dirt by the bulb and take a peek at it. If it is too small cover it back up. Cilantro, parsley, dill, lettuce, green onions and leeks all grow good now too. I am growing all this right now.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I received some beets but I know that you have to thin em and take too long to grow so I'm trying to grow about 100 radishes instead hope the grow well, specially with ducks around that might eat most of the seedlings

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Shouldn't plant all hundred right away. Because then you will have around 100 ready at one time. You should do like 25 , then a week later another 25, another week another 25 etc. This way you have a constant supply of radishes.

You should build some fencing around your garden. I built a fence for cheap to keep my dogs out. Get some wood stakes and chicken wire.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would plant them all since radish seeds are so cheap. I would make two different beds with maybe more sand in one! you may only get 10 % of the radishes that are really nice and some will take longer to get round and nice! Time is more important than saving the 50 cents worth of seeds but thats me! you can also thin them ! Mix some lettuce in with the radish they grow better together and it seems that the radish are more tender when planted with lettuce!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Man oh Man a fresh radish would be nice. I will have to wait a few months here.[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMG_1774.jpg[/img]

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Dang that is alot of snow, and I planted over 100 because I might give some of the radishes to aunts and grandma, besides I have lots of seeds, Now my ducks are really hunters and eat about anything, so I have chicken wire on a small garden and a garden closed in with some bricks but don't have enough for everything so what ever the ducks get would be my thinning of plants lol

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Is that really snow or a cottom mulch?

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Cotton Mulch FTW xD and I must say I kind of envy all the snow, Ive probably seen snow twice, but Cali is great sunny day birds chirping and some plants keep on growing

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Like magic a couple of sunny days that snow turns into mud lol.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”