ginger
Newly Registered

Baby japanese maple

I started two japanese maaples they were doing great and than less the a week ago the leaves on both dried up and I'm not sure whats wrong with them can anyone help

they are in house and in window that doesn't great driect sunlight

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Japanese maples like other maples are deciduous. They are expected to lose their leaves this time of year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, Japanese maples really are not house plants. They are cold-hardy temperate deciduous trees, that require a period of cold dormancy. Generally this is something like 1000 hrs of below 40 degree temps.

If you just started these from seed recently (wrong season for doing that), I don't know that you want to put them outdoors now. But I would put them in the coldest indoor space you have, don't fertilize, water very little and let them rest for the winter. In spring put them outside. They are hardy down to US zone 5 (depending on variety), but not where you are. So I would leave them outside in the fall until they are thoroughly dormant. Then bring them to a garage or other protected but not warm space. They don't need light after they drop the leaves.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”