Trevor
Cool Member

Seed Storage help

Hello. I'm going to storing a bunch of seeds that I've been collecting for the past few weeks. I am saving the following seeds;
-Morning Glory
-Marigold
-Mimosa tree
-Rose of Sharon

I was wondering how I should store them? Any specific way? Right now, I have them temp. in plastic ziplock bags in a kitchen drawer. Should they be stored in the fridge?

And information would be greatly appeciated :)

Trevor
Last edited by Trevor on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Make sure they are real dry first before you keep them in a bag. Also put a piece o paper towel in the bag to keep them dry. Rose of sharon is a real harty seed and usually will grow in the spring from seeds that fell under the tree and moning glory is the same. My avice keep the morning glories away from the veg garden or they will choke out all your crops!. All the seeds are easy to save and grow quick in the spring. The marigolds I would plant all through my garen to deter bugs and will not hurt the garden! The Mimosa tree has beautiful flowers and is a very fast growing 12 foot tree. It will grow 5 or more feet a year. Way to go good start. Check out some of the post on how to save tomato seeds!

Trevor
Cool Member

Bobberman wrote:Make sure they are real dry first before you keep them in a bag. Also put a piece o paper towel in the bag to keep them dry. Rose of sharon is a real harty seed and usually will grow in the spring from seeds that fell under the tree and moning glory is the same. My avice keep the morning glories away from the veg garden or they will choke out all your crops!. All the seeds are easy to save and grow quick in the spring. The marigolds I would plant all through my garen to deter bugs and will not hurt the garden! The Mimosa tree has beautiful flowers and is a very fast growing 12 foot tree. It will grow 5 or more feet a year. Way to go good start. Check out some of the post on how to save tomato seeds!
Thank you! We have had these plants for several years, but I just started saving seeds this year, to hopefully share with friends and family. And the rose of sharons, I plant on starting indoors at around march, then hardening them off and planting them outside. That way, I can share and sell. My grandpa always tells stories on how he and his cousin would grow plants and sell them. So I'm going to try to do the same, but it's all fun for me. My great-grandmother planted our mimosa tree over 40 years ago, and it's still going strong! I have 6 or 7 seedlings that I found this spring in the flower bed and potted them. They nearly doubled in size this summer. I trimmed them, and put them underground for winter to avoid the elements.

Will definately check out your posts!

Trevor
Cool Member

One last question- Do any of these need to be stratified (cold- simulate winter) ? Marigolds, morning glories, rose of sharons or mimosa seeds?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I save seeds in coin envelopes you can get at most if not all office supply stores as well as other places. Some use ziplocks but they MUST be fully dried at the time. Even than I would some sort of moisture attractant in them.

Most people I know use coin envelopes for storing and baby ziplocks for sharing/sending.

I see no need for refrigeration though some do. Just a cool dry are without undue temp fluctuations should do.

my 2 cents

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”