Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Seed starting indoors with lights! Tips!

It seems to me everyone seems to miss a important fact that light is absorbed by leaves all over! Placing you plants on a mirror or even alum foil and the reflected light will be alsorbed much more by the plants! Make a mirror box with the plants inside and the light at the top. The box also gives the plants more moisture and heat besides the reflected light! Harden them off later with a fan. and drop in temp!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Every time I get in this subject people say don't do it but I want to know how. So what kind of light bulb do I need? Wattage? Humidity and will my plants grow as good as outside?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What is it you want to grow inside? Every plant has different needs re how much light, heat, humidity, etc. Some plants will do just as well indoors and some won't survive that way...

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have decided to put a set or two 4 foot lights in my basement.. My solar greenhouse is 50 miles away from my place since I have it at my girl friends. I only get there on the weekend!I am going to start some plants in the basement this year. The temp is 60 all the time! I will try the bright surface below the plants also probably the mirrors. I am going to start some things next week!

soil
Greener Thumb

mirrors can create hot spots, best to use those emergency camping blankets.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

You could get hot spots in the sun bu under lights I dought if it would be hot enough to hurt the plants! Inside the light intensitty is very important to the plants growth since there is no sun or outside light! The more light the better hitting all parts of the leaf!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”