buzzcut

when to start brugs/datura seeds...

last fall, I divided my double fern leaf peonies. I have a tuber that I have been looking to trade for certain brugs and daturas, and canna tropicanna.

I reside in z4 and have never tried brugs or daturas. most likely will be using them in a container, and, would like to know just how early one could start the brug/dats?

shadylane
Green Thumb

In zone 5 one can start the Datura's indoors 8-12 weeks before last frost date at 70-85 degrees. Takes about 18-20 days. Soak the seeds in very warm water all most hot for 24 hours. And sow 1/8" deep. Keep soil moist and warm. They are annuals and are self seeders outdoors, but become sparse.

The Brugmansia or Angle trumpet are a tropical plant and I've seen them growing in containers. I have not grown them, they take a long time for them to germinate up to 3 months. The seeds also need to soak and then remove the coating carefully. Sow on soil surface in a warm location. Keep the soil moist. They need light and warmth to germinate. It takes about 6 months for them to bloom.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”