Ruffsta
Green Thumb

as far as lighting advice... watch this!

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1e1TLO7hI34[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the update. So in other words, the goal of winter tomatoes is still pretty elusive... Someone (who bought your plants) with a really good light set up, managed to get a couple spring tomatoes and then will be putting the plants outdoors pretty soon. Given the power usage of the really good lighting set up, those were probably $20 tomatoes...

Just checking, because that's what I generally tell people who ask about growing winter tomatoes indoors, but I keep waiting to see if someone is going to prove me wrong. I know it can be done with really professional set ups, but I still think it isn't very workable for ordinary people at any reasonable expense levels.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

you just have to have the right setup and deep enough pockets.. otherwise you are correct the concept is not cost effective to the average gardener...

btw, he doesn't bring every single plant he has outside - he does grow certain pepper plants indoors all year round.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”