Susan W
Greener Thumb

Comfrey starts

FWIW, I got 3 packs (10 seeds each) of comfrey back in August. Suggestion to put seeds in damp soil and chill. Here's what I did with and without everyone's suggestions. (Isn't that how us garden folk work?!!!)

Put 10 in a peat pellet tray, dampened, in the crisper drawer of frig. Couple wks later put 10 in peat pellet thingie in shaded area.

I had pulled out the chilled, and now have both little trays sprouting. Of course like any new parent check hourly. The bigger ones still just have 1st leaves, and a bit of root down through the bottom.

Next issue. I had planned to pot up in gal black pots, be ready for spring. I am out of town for 3 days, just when I need to pay attention! Did that ever happen to you?* I am thinking to have them damp, back under eaves with bright light, no rain. I may put some potting soil under the pellets for the baby roots. Then next week can lift each out and do the bigger pot.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

FWIW, many of my Comfrey seeds sprouted and I have Comfrey babies. As one gets bigger with real leaves, putting in a gallon pot. We should have about a month before frost, so these should develop, then be on low growth until April-May. Our frost is mid April.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Susan,

Sounds like things are going well. Did you tell use already why you are growing Comfrey? Fertile Comfrey?

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

just so you know, comfrey hates being in pots.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Eric, what a question! Not sure!!!!!
I will put a couple more in my beds come spring. Several asked about it this season. I can offer comfrey starts in spring.

As a fellow garden person, What was I thinking?!

It's all good.

Perhaps we should start a thread...What Was I thinking?! Be real, honest, humble, and most of all humor. Been there done that.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”