Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

90% off seeds at Dollar General!

I went into Dollar General tonight and ook at the discount counter where I saw a large box of mixed seed packs!It said 90% off. I bought 27 packs of mostly flowers and 3 packs of the mixed radish! Some were 3 for a $1 so I got them for 3 cents each! When they came up on the price I got all 27 packs for a total of 27 cents. That had to be my best deal of the year! I even got a $1 pack of mixed color sunflowers for a penny! There was also a cimson watermellon pack!

nickolas

Bobberman wrote:I went into Dollar General tonight and ook at the discount counter where I saw a large box of mixed seed packs!It said 90% off. I bought 27 packs of mostly flowers and 3 packs of the mixed radish! Some were 3 for a $1 so I got them for 3 cents each! When they came up on the price I got all 27 packs for a total of 27 cents. That had to be my best deal of the year! I even got a $1 pack of mixed color sunflowers for a penny! There was also a cimson watermellon pack!
They are some grate deals you got there Bobberman I pay 1 dollar 50 for each of my pack of seeds.

soil
Greener Thumb

whenever I see deals like this I buy up lots of them and make seedballs.

FlowerPowerGirl

I remember a sale like that. The seeds were OK. Just in case I saved some seeds from tomatoes that I was eating.

orgainc mommy
Newly Registered

Agreed Flower Power -
I have been saving my own harvested seeds for a couple years, requiring me to buy no new seeds.
But this kind of sale would have been hard to pass up! I will check my own local stores.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The had about a 100 packs left so I will go back today and see if I missed any radish of the mix variety!. I may try a few new flowers also!

garudamon11

I wish I could find seeds here ... they only sell onion seeds at the nurseries and there are no plantations to speak of

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

end of (2011) season sales...

that's a common thing here in rhode island... job lot has them going on now, so does ace hardware, home depot, benny's, lowes... every store that sells seeds here has those sales atm.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Ooooh - I'm looking to start Morning Glories to get some beneficials - I'll check it out, thanks!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Stay away from Morning glories they will choke everything out and are hard to get rid of! I must have had a 1000 this year and they are still coming climbing all over my tomatoes and everything!

Tilde
Green Thumb

Hey, Bobberman, thanks for your concern. :) I've lived with those weeds (morning glories, moonflowers, and four o clocks) that I'm likely to find for decades. We always had them around decoratively and for benificials.

I'm mostly container gardening, but I've grown them here in containers, too; not too worried about them overtaking beyond control.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They do have some really nice colors in morning glories now. They do look nice on a fence! I love my moon flowers!

Boomslang
Cool Member

Late Summer and early Fall are the best time to rack up on getting seeds really cheap I think. You might also want to check at some local Mom and Pop hardware stores (seems to be getting harder to find :cry:). I bought a whole rack of flower/ vegetable seeds a couple summers ago at one of these locations. I got close to 500 packets for $25. They were some good quality seeds but a little out of date. Most that I planted came up fine. I had so many seeds I had to give quite a few away to my wife's friends. Their husbands hated me. :lol: I guess because I was adding to their "Honey Do" lists. Ha ha..........

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If the seeds packet expiration date passes are the seeds still pretty good? How long will these seeds be good for? Do the germination rates fall as time goes on?

Boomslang
Cool Member

The date on the seeds packets I bought were almost 3 years expired, but I still had approximately 75% sprout success with the ones I planted. It might have a lot to do with how the seeds are stored also.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”