Nature's Babe

Seed composts and soil blocks? transplants.

What is the most natural medium for planting seeds, and least traumatic for
transplants ? Has anyone tried soil blocks? What soil / compost mix would you use? In UK we usually start tender seeds early in warmth under cover, and move as transplants after the last frost. For environmental reasons I don't want to use peat, as it destroys habitat

soil
Greener Thumb

the most natural would be direct sowing them into the garden. this way the plants taproots are undisturbed.

the next best thing indoors would be some good compost.

Nature's Babe

Hi Soil, yes I understand that and most crops are planted that way straight into the soil, but tender crops like peppers need early planting under cover to succeed, so I am looking for the next best option, we have to consider our climate, it's not like the Mediterranian or California.
I make loads of my own compost, I am thinking perhaps 50-50 seived compost and seived soil, but would that work in soil blocks? Commercial composts that are peat free here fared vey badly on Which tests, about 50% or less germination, patently not fit for purpose.

applestar
Mod

When I mix my own, I like using a mixture that is something like 3 good top soil : 2 sieved/screened compost : 1 sand.

The good soil comes from under the woodpile or under a fallen leaf pile. For seed starting I screen with 1/2~3/4" mesh.

I tried making soil blocks one year and, although the seedlings grew really well, and I was initially impressed and delighted, I discovered that it takes 150~200% more soil because you have to really pack it in for the blocks to hold their shapes. For me, it was more economical to re-use a variety of used containers to make community/grouped seed flats in which the soil is less tightly compressed. Individually pottting up seeds at the outset also seemed to use extra soil and require micro-managing the soil conditions in each pot. (think small vs. Large aquarium).

I like leaving ALL the soil organisms in the soil mixture. I had hatched earthworms burroughing in and around the soi and predatory centipedes patrolling for tidbits, and that seemed to work out fine. The soil denizens mostly stayed IN the soil and didn't bother the rest of the house.

Another issue with soil blocks for me was that they needed to be thoroughly sprayed to water, and really would have benefitted to be sprayed until the water dripped free for better saturation and air exchange -- which was impossible to do in the house. I imagine that it would work better on growing benches in a greenhouse.
Last edited by applestar on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nature's Babe

Thank you Applestar, I was wondering if it might be worth a try, but I think I will stick to my recycled loo rolls and cardboard containers, they rot down into the soil and there's no root disturbance.

applestar
Mod

Bump! Found my old post regarding soil blocks.8)

Here's a more recent comment from last week:
applestar wrote:... it's a coincidence that you mentioned using fence pickets because I recently received soil block makers as a gift and was thinking about making trays to hold the blocks out of them. If you ever consider soil blocks, you'll want sizes that would accomodate the sizes of your blocks neatly and will want one of the sides to be removable, though if you are handy, you may just make custom trays separate from seed flats. Wish I had leftover cedar pickets like you though. :wink:
While I wait to get some fence pickets to try doing this, I discovered this morning that these might serve...
-- Four 1 quart size ricemilk cartons fit almost exactly in perma-nest tray and each carton holds two rows of mini 4 blocker blocks.
--- They are very nicely reflective inside.
--- The cut off front panel origami folded to form a pinch handle could be used to cover the blocks until germination.
--- The carton's pour spout opening is about 1/2" from the bottom and can be used to pour off excess/overflow water.
--- if necessary, one side of the carton could be cut off for easy block removal
-- a Chinese take out tray holds 2 sets of micro blocker blocks.
--- I can use its own translucent cover for humidity dome (convenient since many tiny seeds for micro blocks need light to germinate)

ATM trying to decide if I want to out a piece of corrugated cardboard in the bottom of these trays -- would that simulate wooden boards better?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”