Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Staring seeds all summer in the shade!

Does anyone else start seeds like vine crops sunflowers all the time in the summer? I make a small raised bed under a tree or just have a small box with the new sprouts! Cole crops are also good like Kohlrabi! I like to do it this way because I can control how the roots hold the soil and sand mix. I will plant only on a wet or rainy day! What is also nice is that the new plants are ahead of the weeds which would be growing if planted directly in the garden!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

So, you are starting plants in the shade then transplanting those plants out into the open garden, Bobberman?

I start a lettuce mix in containers in a shady location (where I can see and meet their water needs :roll: ) thru many of the warmer weeks. Little "bunches" of plants are set out in the garden. Most are transplanted to a shady location out there and they handle transplanting better if they aren't pulled apart as individual plants.

It is great just to harvest 4 or 5 lettuce plants at once in a little group. Kind of like having a tossed salad by the handful.

Steve

soil
Greener Thumb

I start all my winter crops in full shade about mid july.

greenstubbs

Soil- Where in No Cal are you? Thinkin on doin the same. Thanks

soil
Greener Thumb

I'm in the sierra nevadas.

you should be good starting them mid july full shade where you are.

I have noticed that some of the kale seeds I dropped while harvesting last fall have started to grow in the full sun. I will keep note if they continue on with growth through winter or flower when small. there might just be a point in time when if you start before they bolt, or if you start after they go until next year.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I seems to me that herbs grow better in shady areas! Plants also take longer to go to seed in the shade even when the temp is 90!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am sill planting seeds in the shade. I planted a flat of zucks two weeks ago and put thewm in the ground today with two big leaves on each plant. I think there is still time and f not I will move them to my solar greenhouse which I have ready now!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”