babiebee33

Looking for helpful advice on my seeds....PLEASE! :)

Hello,

I am new to gardening, but I gotta give myself credit that I've been doing pretty well. Thanks to forums like this and the help of the world wide web. If there is anyone out there that has experience of just some know hows on what my specific seeds need and once they germinate what to do next.

I have planted:
Catnip
Pumpkin
Shasta Daisy
Green Onions
Mixed Sunflowers
Mammoth Sunflower
Moonwalker Sunflower
Pansy

I am growing these in a Jiffy Seed starter tray. Just realized that I don't know if planting some of these in the same area as others will effect any plants growth. So far my Pumkin seeds have germinated as well as some of the Mixed Sunflowers and One Moonwalker Sunflower. I have my Pansy seeds growing in separate seed starter so they can stay in a more cool place with no light. All the others stay outside in the light, but have their plastic cover. Here are some questions:

1. Now my most of the pansy seeds have germinated and sprouted, so I moved them where they get light now but still cool temp. Is this right?

2. Since a couple plants have sprouted in the main seed starter tray, I took each individual seed pot of the seeds that have sprouted and planted them in their biodegratable seed pot in a larger plastic pot. So they are out of the minature green house and getting direct light, but temps are cooler as opposed to a hot sun beaming down on the young seedling. So is this ok?

3. Catnip have grown roots but I have left them in the minature grrenhouse/seed starter tray......Any recomendations on how I should treat these new rooted seedlings? I see roots on the bottom, good roots, but no sprouts. Any suggestions?

4. Last question, we have a bank that borders part of our property line. I have ice plant we are trying to get to cover more, since this place was a forclosure and neglected for a bit. I wanted to throw some wild flowers at the top of it to liven up the hill a little. Any suggestions with the wildflower seeds. Seeds are for full sun spots, which this is.

So thank you for reading this, I'm not expecting anyone to be able to answer all of them, but if you have any suggestions at all on any of these seeds, please your input will be hugely appreciated. I love my new hobby and I'm getting better everyday, I am full of questions for those more experienced gardeners, even if you only little experienced in one plant. Love to here what tricks others have up there sleeves. Thanks again for reading my novel!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

As long as there is no frost I would take all plants and put them in a shady area outside! Keep them from drying out and when they get big enough to plant I would plant them on a wet cloudy day!.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Once the seeds have sprouted, be sure you get the greenhouse dome off them immediately! Never plant anything in the ground still in those supposedly "biodegradable" pots! If you are moving things into plastic pots, I would take them out of the peat pot first. The peat tends to hold too much water, until it finally dries out at which point it sucks all the water away from the plant.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”