Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Sweet potatoes a lot to learn!

I was really suprised about the sweet potato after reading a long article from Mother Earth Magazine! I did not know they had to be cured to become more taste by keeping them in over 80 degrees for a week and they would become very sweet! The curing also seems to give them a tougher skin! What I was surrised at is that they will freeze or di from being in temp under 50 for a short period of time!
+++ I had four sweet potatoes in dirt in the greenhouse for several months with no success till 2 weeks ago when two of the four started growing! What else should I know about these unusual potatoes? How about more tips?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It probably just warmed up let me guess. They won't do ANYTHING till it is warm. I started my own starting early to err on the side of caution and nothing happened until the warm weather came about and than they went gangbusters. They really do like hot weather. Oh and the rabbits love sweet potatoes more than anything at least to me it seems. At the end of the season if there is a surprise frost they should be IMMEDIATELY harvested or the potatoes can go bad and rot if left in the ground after a frost even for a short time. If I remember right they do well in poor soil so basically they are pretty hardy (despite the stupid rabbits trying to eat them). When harvesting DO NOT cut or bruise them as this will effect storage.

That' is all I have for now I have to do some gardening myself.

Oh one more thing homegrown sweet potatoes are like nothing you have ever had. :D

Google sweet potatoes or better yet Youtube. There is a TON of info out there.
Last edited by gixxerific on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

mine were growing like turtles up until the last few weeks.

lots of sun and lots of heat.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”