bogydave

Bad seeds: Good info from seed company

I had a few seeds not germinate well. Lettuce & pansy. So I wrote to Seed Co. letting them know what happened.
Good info:::
If seeds are stored near weed & feed & other herbicides with weed killers, the vapors can cause the seeds to be sterile or cause deformities.
If you notice the herbicide odor near the seed rack, steer clear of the seeds. I believe I got my seeds from Lo's. The seed rack was in the same isle as the herbicides, early in the year before the Green house side was open. Lettuce & pansies were my sterile seeds.

Seed Co quote: ::"Please let us know what failed and we will refund your money for the seed. The next question is were did you buy your seed? What you describe sounds like chemical poisoning from such products as bags of Weed N Feed fertilizer. If you can smell the chemical in the store isle it will kill seed and lettuce is especially sensitive. A closed bag of Weed N Feed will kill seed and cause the deformities in other varieties you are describing. I believe your problem is an environmental issue. Did you buy all the brands of seed in the same store? We pride ourselves with our quality."

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That's really good information to have, and it explains why some of my seeds don't sprout. The rack is right there among all the weed-and-feed and other stuff. :(

Thanks for letting us know. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wow, bogydave; I would never have known, either. :shock: Thank you very much!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

soil
Greener Thumb

I hate walking by the fertilizer isle. smells like junk and gives me a headache.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I hate walking by the fertilizer isle. smells like junk
You are giving it to much credit, it smell worse than junk.

Eric

Halfway
Green Thumb

Great info. Thank you for sharing! 8)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Wow, this makes me happy I didn't get any from the store I was thinking about getting my seeds from! They had the endcap right next to that aisle. Good to know!

Master_Mind413
Newly Registered

Yes thanks for the heads up I didn't know that and it explains why some of the seeds I get from walmart don't work also

bogydave

I was glad to learn this also.
Explains a few various seeds issues I've had in the past.
Next year, mail order or nurseries for my seeds!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”