potato boy
Newly Registered

Maple trees ????

Hi everyone! I just planted some maple keys :D. But I was wondering when they will sprout and what to do. Also, to see if I even planted them right. What I did was got top soil that you can buy at a garden store and moisened it. Then put a maple key on top then put about an inch of top soil on it. Then I left it over night pretty wet so it will get a chill (thats what it said to do on the internet). Thanks!

johnny123

I planted a maple seed 40 years ago.
I can't remember if it was green or dried {Brown}
The tree is a monster today.

The seeds are everywhere now so plant some green and plant some that have dried.
I'm sure something will grow.

Signal30
Cool Member

I have a maple tree near my garden. The only "weeds" I have growing out of it are darn maple saplings.

look around the tree especially where there is exposed dirt, nature is doing it for you right now.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have been around Maples myself for a bit. I can tell you they do like to grow EVERYWHERE. :lol:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Most trees seed do not have their inhibitors broken down by drying or freezing.

As a generalization the best thing you can do it take fresh seed and plant them shallowly in very fast draining soil that is at least 1/2 coarse sand. If seed has not germinated by fall set whole pot in a shallow hole with a peice of plank to cover soil, cover all with leaves and let it sit outdoors till snow melts, remove plank in spring.

mansgirl

Signal30 wrote:I have a maple tree near my garden. The only "weeds" I have growing out of it are darn maple saplings.

look around the tree especially where there is exposed dirt, nature is doing it for you right now.
We have the same problem! I have half a garden of saplings if I don't keep up on my weeding. Our gutters will start to make our house look like Carabba's restaurant if we don't clean them up soon enough too.

My guess is if they'll grow in gutters, they'll grow anywhere! :wink:

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”