Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

No dig seed starting with a one inch diameter hole!

From the funnel hole to just the push 4 inch deep hole that is how I will plant some areas! Planting a few dozen corn I usually just make a row and throw in the seeds but there are alot of weeds also! I have this black groud that is compact but a push hole with a 0ne inch rod works great. I made about 7 dozen one inch by 4 inh deep holes in 4 rows tonight. I dropped a corn seed in each hole which were 8 inches apart.. I threw some light mulch over the holes and expect very little weeds and the corn is deep and can come up easy!
+++
I plan on planting all my seeds without digging in this new garden. Tomorrow beans will be planted with this punch method. If the ground is just wet enough the hole is perfect with no dirt falling back in! The smaller seeds I will cover the holes with a sand dirt mix! I may even plant my carrots this way!. The carrots I will make a 6 inch hole and fill it half way with the sand garden soil mix then add the carrot! I am sold on this method and only see benifits of planting this way! I even use the funnel holes of 4 inches and plant 4 radish or other small seeds in the black plastic! No more weeds! Let me know if any of you try it?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Working great my corn is up and my Zucks are up also with some cukes. The ground got a crst like concrete from all the ain but my small funnel holes that were toped with compost manure is soft! The seeds came right through!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”