4girlsgarden
Newly Registered

Planting green beans and sugar snap peas from seeds

any tips for getting good plants from green beans and sugar snaps are welcome. I have tried to grow these the last 2 years and have been unsuccessful. I have tried to grow them inside and move them outside and sewing them directly into my garden. Any advice is welcome! Thanks :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Green beans are warm soil crops, so never sow the seeds before the soil temperature is near 70 degrees or warmer. Try bush beans to start, as IMO they are easier to get a quick reliable crop.

Sweet peas are very cool soil crops. Plant those seeds in the very early spring, at least six weeks prior to the last frost date. The peas will do well until the temperatures start hitting in the 80's and then the vines will begin to turn brown and die. I just pulled my up and moved them to the compost pile today, but we had several weeks of very sweet sugar snaps.

4girlsgarden
Newly Registered

Thanks so much! I think I have been planting my sweet peas too late. It has been fairly cool lately (off and on...its Kansas weather :) ) but it is going to start warming up soon and quickly. I will see what I can do about the green beans!

CodyW

I soak my pea seeds inside overnight before I plant them. This year I started them indoors and then put netting over them, as I have had major problems with the birds eating them off when they just come through the soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree that soaking peas and beans in water overnight helps them germinate quicker. And quicker is better, because the longer they stay in the ground un-germinated, the more things can happen to them (e.g. getting too dried out, getting too wet and rotting, critters finding them, etc).

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”