SPierce
Greener Thumb

Stems not thickening?

Quick question, as I'm getting kinda worried about my starts... I've been hardening them off for the last week or so- and they are at the point where they are outside on my front porch all day and until about 11:00 at night.

They are used to moderate winds, and temps into the lower 50s now.

However, I keep waiting for the stems to get thicker on my tomatoes, and they're growing taller and developing more true leaves- but nothing seems to be going on with the stems. They are yellow pear tomato seedlings. Is this something I should be concerned about, or am I worrying too prematurely? I'd like to get them into the ground by next weekend, when I don't have to worry about any crazy cold fronts. Anything I can do to help them along?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Mine are the same way. The stems get tougher, not thicker when you put them out. Mine always start to fill out a week or two before they are ready to go in the ground (expected planting date). They usually get a shot of fertilizer about that time, so maybe the extra nutrients help.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Mine are the same way. The stems get tougher, not thicker when you put them out. Mine always start to fill out a week or two before they are ready to go in the ground (expected planting date). They usually get a shot of fertilizer about that time, so maybe the extra nutrients help.
Gotcha. So that's something I should watch for before planting them in ground? The zucchinis are my main concern time-planting wise (they're getting HUGE!), and seem to be standing okay on their own, so maybe I will put those out first and hold off on planting the tomatoes until I notice the difference in the stems.

What type of Fertilizer for you give yours? I have them mixed in with compost, and didn't have any plans to add in anything extra- but if it will help them, I will...

Also, another random question in regards to the tomatoes... I have too many seedlings. I only want to plant 4 in ground, but I have 8 seedlings- so I'd like to experiment a little and try 4 in ground, and 4 in containers. I have 2 extra 18gal bins that I would like to plant 2 plants each into- would this still leave enough room for the tomatoes to "spread and grow" so to speak ? They'd be trellised up a huge trellis I want to lean up against our shed so they have room to climb.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Is is something you should watch for?...probably not. I have planted some little wimpy things in the garden (especially some cherry types) because it was after Memorial Day and it was time to get everything else in the ground. Generally, my plants are 8-10 inches tall by the time they go in and the stems are starting to look like "adult" stems rather than "seedling" stems.

Can you do two plants in a 18 gallon container. Sure, but you might want to do some pruning to keep the tops from outgrowing their water and nutrient source.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Is is something you should watch for?...probably not. I have planted some little wimpy things in the garden (especially some cherry types) because it was after Memorial Day and it was time to get everything else in the ground. Generally, my plants are 8-10 inches tall by the time they go in and the stems are starting to look like "adult" stems rather than "seedling" stems.

Can you do two plants in a 18 gallon container. Sure, but you might want to do some pruning to keep the tops from outgrowing their water and nutrient source.
This is very helpful. Thank you :D My tomatoes are still only 3-4 inches tall, but are on their 3rd set of leaves. I didn't know if should wait, or put them out, so... just kinda trying to feel my way through!

and re: the pruning, I suppose that's something I should keep an eye out for this time, anyhow! My tomatoes got bigger than me last year, and I had a horrible time trying to keep them upright, really. Thinking of running fencing across the garden from one end to the other this year, so I can use the fencing as a larger cage of some sort.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”