johnny123

If the plant starts growing like a bean pole keep putting soil around the stem to support it and when you put it outside bury it right up to a few inches below the bottom leaves.

Chaesman

Thank you for the information Johny123 I am taking notes. Just sent my son after the gas for the tiller still have it planned to start prepairing the patch today forgoing unforseen priorities (I think I am free all day but that can change in a blink). On the Plus Side Horray we gave 2 big max giant pumpkin plants offically popping out of the soil this morning.

I am bottom watering at the moment will it be ok to add a diluted liquid fertilizer to the watering for the seedlings?

Jon

johnny123

Yes, I use a 10-50-10 when they are young to help with getting roots started.
I Tbl per gallon.
You don'r really have to dilute it for pumpkins.
Just follow normal directions on what you have.

johnny123

Chaesman, I sent you a PM.

Chaesman

Thanks for the information on fertilizer and I got your PM will start fetilizing next time I water the tray

jon

Chaesman

well the pumpkin patch has plants in it now.. I planted the 6 best jackolateern plants I had and one Big Max Giant pumpkin. They are all thriving and doing well. I also have 3 Whyatts wonder pumpkins that just sprouted they will be going out next weekend I think. I also have some Atlantic Giants seeds on the way to me I am hoping to recieve them tommorow or monday so I can get them Started as well

Jon

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Chaesman wrote:You have provided me with more information about pumpkins than I have found elsewhere so far. Just Currious How big do Your Pumpkins get?

Jon
It depends on the cultivar jon. A little pie pumpkin will max out at a couple pounds no matter what you do to it.

An Atlantic Giant on the other hand will only get to its biggest size if you pick off all the subsequent fruit. You've seen these fork-lift punkin's at the fair.

johnny123

Those must be some little pie pumpkins.
I grow Sugar Pies at 4 to 8 pounds.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

That's a lot of good pumpkin growing info. I'm going to have to go back and write it all down. Thanks.

Garden_by_Faith

I started my pumpkins inside about two weeks ago and I just discovered my first sprout this morning! I am SO EXCITED. Not only is this my first pumpkin sprout but my first sprout EVER! (this is my first year gardening) :shock: :D

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

As long as your not going to try and pick that one on holloween your fine.
I started some also but I guess I did it months to early....opps
But you can store them for some months.
But mine are giant pumpkins idk how I would move it out of the heat.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”