Binkalette

Potting up newspaper pots.

My tomato seedlings are about 5 inches tall now and have 2 sets of true leaves each. They are in 4-5 inch newspaper pots and I noticed today there are roots poking through the newspaper in some of them. I would like to stick with the newspaper, but does anybody know how to make LARGER newspaper pots? I would imagine I would need to combine a few pieces of paper, but I just cant visualize how. Any ideas?

johnny123

I thought I was the only one still making newspaper pots.

I take the smaller newspapers like the local ones at the stores.
Penny Saver.

I fold the paper and make three corners and then staple the end flap to the other end to make a square pot.
I leave the bottom open and set it on a piece of cardboard and put them into platic trays.

These pots will hold a couple of gallons of soil.
Good for pumkins and squash.

I use the whole paper so it is pretty thick.

johnny123

If these pots turn out too large for what you what just lay out the newspaper and cut it into two pieces and make two pots from one paper.

Schila
Cool Member

Wow , this is the first time I hear about newspaper pot. What do you grow in them?
:D

johnny123

Anything

Binkalette

Well I got it figured out. I took two full sheets of newspaper and taped them together in the middle with three small pieces of tape and used that as my 'half sheet' and followed [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms7hUdbl8Ds]the same video[/url] I used when I made the smaller pots.

Here you can see the small pots with roots sticking out.. (and to think I was worried they wouldn't break down!)
[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_1110.jpg[/img]

And here are the new pots (still empty, I need to get more potting soil) next to the old ones.
[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_1112.jpg[/img]

johnny123

Those larger pots will work good.
They look just like the ones I make.
Keep them all close together in the trays so they will support each other and they won't collapse.
I leave the bottoms open so the roots don't have any problem getting into the soil when you put them outside.
I put a piece of cardboard under the pots and just side it off when I plant outdoors.
The cardboard just helps keep the dirt in the pots when you are moving them.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Nice ill keep this in mind.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Binkalette wrote:Well I got it figured out. I took two full sheets of newspaper and taped them together in the middle with three small pieces of tape...
If I can make a minor suggestion.....just a thought. If you use staples instead of tape, the staples will rust away to nothing within the season. Tape is plastic and will be in the ground a lot longer. Just a thought. The pots look good! Kudos for your patience. I couldn't stick with it and I just reuse my plastic ones every year.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”