SPierce
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:
gixxerific wrote:I have way too many to be so easy. I do bring them out in the shade though. They may get afternoon sun if left out long enough. I don't do the 30 min, hour, 2 hour thing though. But I do keep them out of the sun at first.
I have to do it incrementally because, no matter where I put them outside, they will get the wind. Last year, one of my tomato seedlings snapped off level with the soil because of the wind. Perfectly calm days up here are, literally, one in a 1000 :D

Right now, the day looks good to get them out again. Lots of sun, temp of 46, and a wind of perhaps 10 to 15. I'm gonna try four hours today!
how goes your plants? :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Today I plant the two excessively tall tomato plants and the seven watermelons. I had them out for 3.5 hours yesterday in some pretty nasty winds. I meant to have them out for 4 hours, but I broke at 3.5. They all looked pretty rough. This is the day that is supposed to be super windy, but I'm not seeing it, not yet, anyway. I think it must have come early.

In my heart, I know the watermelons won't make it. All the literature says they hate being transplanted, and I didn't even use peat pots. Can't never did try, though. I prepared them SUCH a bed yesterday that if they do make it, they will be living the dream.

Here's a funny one: I forgot to cover the pumpkins last night, and we got down to 31 at the airport. Thank heavens for variable temperatures. The two that are left are still alive. Decidedly unhappy but nevertheless alive. I've been reading Jon's pumpkin seeds thread, and I think I will start two more for Halloween pumpkins if I can find a place to put them.

BTW, your tomato plant looks ever so much better than mine. I had to put mine in the window, and they're leggy as all get out. I had to stake them yesterday, or they would have broken off in their pots. They will be much happier outside, no matter how windy it gets.

Thursday the high is supposed to be 49. They keep downgrading the high as I watch the 10-day forecast. Five days ago, Thursday was supposed to hit 55. Two days ago, Thursday was supposed to hit 51. Now it's down to 49. Something ugly is coming through here on Thursday :shock:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:Today I plant the two excessively tall tomato plants and the seven watermelons. I had them out for 3.5 hours yesterday in some pretty nasty winds. I meant to have them out for 4 hours, but I broke at 3.5. They all looked pretty rough. This is the day that is supposed to be super windy, but I'm not seeing it, not yet, anyway. I think it must have come early.

In my heart, I know the watermelons won't make it. All the literature says they hate being transplanted, and I didn't even use peat pots. Can't never did try, though. I prepared them SUCH a bed yesterday that if they do make it, they will be living the dream.

Here's a funny one: I forgot to cover the pumpkins last night, and we got down to 31 at the airport. Thank heavens for variable temperatures. The two that are left are still alive. Decidedly unhappy but nevertheless alive. I've been reading Jon's pumpkin seeds thread, and I think I will start two more for Halloween pumpkins if I can find a place to put them.

BTW, your tomato plant looks ever so much better than mine. I had to put mine in the window, and they're leggy as all get out. I had to stake them yesterday, or they would have broken off in their pots. They will be much happier outside, no matter how windy it gets.

Thursday the high is supposed to be 49. They keep downgrading the high as I watch the 10-day forecast. Five days ago, Thursday was supposed to hit 55. Two days ago, Thursday was supposed to hit 51. Now it's down to 49. Something ugly is coming through here on Thursday :shock:
Oh goodness, I hope everything is ok! Sadly, I'll be joining you for that horrible upcoming weather on thursday-I'm in the area from thursday through memorial day! :shock:

and thanks re: the tomato plant. I planted them out and saturday in the ground, and already they're getting bigger! I can't wait to see what they look like when I get back into town.

I hope your watermelons make it through ok. I tried to grow them this year., and had no success at all- so you're ahead of me. Can you maybe put a protective fence of some sort around them, until they can grow stronger? Hopefully they will all come up and turn out well! I haven't even been able to plant my pumpkins and gourds yet, they're still emerging from their pots...

I sure hope your plants are getting stronger so they can survive all the winds and temps!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote: Oh goodness, I hope everything is ok! Sadly, I'll be joining you for that horrible upcoming weather on thursday-I'm in the area from thursday through memorial day! :shock:
Oh no. I forgot you were headed this way. Poor SPierce. I can't speak for Yellowstone, but our mid-state forecast is for several days of rain after the ugly Thursday of which I spoke, very unusual for my area. Remember what I told you: prepare to drive in snow. You may not have to, but odds are high you will if you are in the mountains.

I hope you found a responsible person to visit your plants while you are gone.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:
SPierce wrote: Oh goodness, I hope everything is ok! Sadly, I'll be joining you for that horrible upcoming weather on thursday-I'm in the area from thursday through memorial day! :shock:
Oh no. I forgot you were headed this way. Poor SPierce. I can't speak for Yellowstone, but our mid-state forecast is for several days of rain after the ugly Thursday of which I spoke, very unusual for my area. Remember what I told you: prepare to drive in snow. You may not have to, but odds are high you will if you are in the mountains.

I hope you found a responsible person to visit your plants while you are gone.
My roommate will take good care of my garden while I'm gone. He knows how much they mean to me! :D

And that's OK. I can take rain and snow- in fact, I prefer snow. It looks so beautiful on the ground, mountains and animals when I'm photographing them! I even got my sweaters back out of the closer so I can bring them. I'm there from the 19th-28th- hopefully I'll get a bit of sun in there- but I hope so for your plants!

and have no fear, I'm used to snow ;D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Sorry to digress on your thread, SPierce, but you may be in for a real treat. Montana's cattlemen are fed up with bison, which can transmit a bad disease to pregnant cattle. Last week, I saw a news report saying they were moving their bison to the Wyoming Yellowstone area. If you like photographing animals, you might see an errant bison or two. (They can be devilishly difficult to herd.) 8)

So. You get snow in Massachusettes, too, huh? Go figure :wink:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:Sorry to digress on your thread, SPierce, but you may be in for a real treat. Montana's cattlemen are fed up with bison, which can transmit a bad disease to pregnant cattle. Last week, I saw a news report saying they were moving their bison to the Wyoming Yellowstone area. If you like photographing animals, you might see an errant bison or two. (They can be devilishly difficult to herd.) 8)

So. You get snow in Massachusettes, too, huh? Go figure :wink:
Digress all you want- I'm sending positive thoughts towards your watermelons! I hope you get some, cause I sure won't this year! ;x

And Ohhhh. I like the idea of errant Bison. I take ALL sorts of wildlife photos, too. It's the best thing to take pics of :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

It's day 2 for the watermelons, and all but one look happy and perky. I just mulched them with grass clippings, yet another no-no for watermelons if the soil hasn't warmed up yet. However, we have some serious T-storms moving into the area. Last year, I lost all but one watermelon to mud-splash and waterboarding. The poor guys got so sick and tired of being drowned and resuscitated and drowned and resuscitated that they just gave up the fight. This year, I have them in a bed I can cover with a blue tarp if too much rain comes down.

The two tomato plants, also freshly mulched, look chipper and optimistic. It took me over 10 minutes to dig holes for these two leggy giants. Never again. Setting out plants should be a pleasure, not a chore.

Next in line: Foot-tall peppers. Their bed is not ready, and I don't think I will have time to prepare it before the mess hits. Four days of cold and rain. Peppers are generally pretty forgiving, though. The tallest ones are starting to look unhappy. I might have to get out there today to plant them, just in time for all H--- to break loose :cry:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

The state of Wyoming, all counties, just went under a winter storm advisory for Thursday and Friday, with anywhere from 3" to a foot of snow forecast. Am I still living in 2010? This has the ugly feel of repetition. Poor, poor watermelons, tomatoes, and pumpkins.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:The state of Wyoming, all counties, just went under a winter storm advisory for Thursday and Friday, with anywhere from 3" to a foot of snow forecast. Am I still living in 2010? This has the ugly feel of repetition. Poor, poor watermelons, tomatoes, and pumpkins.
Oh goodness, I hope I can get my flight in ok! :lol:

I hope your plants make it through ok :shock:

applestar
Mod

Good luck to both of you. :wink:

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”