jordanleereynols

best/cheapest place to buy pots

I used peat pots this year and as many of you already know, they suck. I want good, reusable plastic ones, and I figured maybe I could get some cheap after this growing season. I'm looking to get a good bit (100 each) of 4 and 6 inch pots.

Is there a place online to get decent ones fairly cheap? The box stores seem to only sell the starter cells in plastic, then push the peats after that. I will never grow another seed in a peat pot in my life.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Not the big box stores, but have you looked around the local nurseries? There must be a local farm-store somewhere nearby. I went to my local store and bought 20 plastic 4" pots for my starters, and they were 20cents each.

I will agree on the peat pots, though. I learned my lesson last year after buying my starter plants in them, and having to carefully peal and manipulate the peat off of them.

applestar
Mod

In my community, plastic pots are recycled separately and are taken to a drop-off site where you can pick them up for free.

I just reuse pint and quart size plastic tobs from deli stores, sour cream and yogurt containers, milk and juice cartons, etc.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116547

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

There are numerous greenhouse supply sites on the web. Each seems to have something slightly different.

Here is one example

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/containers

Don't forget trays and plant labels too.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I get mine on Ebay. I doubt they are the least expensive around, what with shipping costs, but I can always find what I need in 100-pot lots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the greenhouse megastore link that TZ posted is where I get mine. It is the cheapest I have found. And they do last for many years.

soil
Greener Thumb

check your local nursery, usually they give them away for free, or very cheap.

Yogas
Cool Member

Free is best! I also got tons from my local nursery. They were happy to get rid of them! You have nothing to lose from asking!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I get my plant pots for free from a couple of the local nurseries. They're good about letting me have flats, as well. :)

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I garbage picked mine off the curb. People buy annuals and toss the pots and trays out. I just had to scout and got more than I needed on 2 garbage days in my own neighborhood.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”