SPierce
Greener Thumb

Seed troubles

Anyone ever have any regrets over giving up on seeds too early..? Long story short, I started my Zucchini, tomato and pepper seedlings at the same time. The Zucc's and the tomatoes took of like lightning, the pepper seedlings never did anything at all (over the span of a week and a half). I transplanted the germinated seeds into soil, and threw away the pepper seeds because they just plain looked bad/weren't doing anything.

now I feel like, somewhere in our trash can outside, pepper seedlings are growing and I ruined their chances by throwing them away.

I took my last two pepper seeds and sowed them in soil, with some compost (to start inside, not out) but I still feel guilty over the others. Anyone else ever encounter this? At what point should non-germinated seeds be given up on, and new seeds put in it's place?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It helps to have an idea of what to expect, some seeds germinate much more slowly than others. The seed packet usually tells you what to expect in terms of days to germination. With warm soil (I start mine on a heat mat) 10 -20 days is average for peppers. If the soil isn't warm, then longer. But if the soil isn't warm sometimes they won't germinate at all.

Ten days sounds quick to give up on your peppers. I would have waited at least another week.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:It helps to have an idea of what to expect, some seeds germinate much more slowly than others. The seed packet usually tells you what to expect in terms of days to germination. With warm soil (I start mine on a heat mat) 10 -20 days is average for peppers. If the soil isn't warm, then longer. But if the soil isn't warm sometimes they won't germinate at all.

Ten days sounds quick to give up on your peppers. I would have waited at least another week.
I see. Oh well! I guess I got overly enthuastic, as the other ones just literally took off and started growing like crazy! Was using plastic baggies in order to germinate, and had them in a warm spot in the kitchen.

I will keep my last two seeds in the soil, and wait to see what they do!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I supervised a student plant sale one year and about half of the peppers came up in the plug flats. Not wanting to waste the potting mix I pulled out all of the dud pepper plugs and piled them on a bench in the greenhouse to dry out. As soon as they dried out peppers started to sprout all over the place. They had been planted too deep and kept too wet.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I supervised a student plant sale one year and about half of the peppers came up in the plug flats. Not wanting to waste the potting mix I pulled out all of the dud pepper plugs and piled them on a bench in the greenhouse to dry out. As soon as they dried out peppers started to sprout all over the place. They had been planted too deep and kept too wet.
I may have been keeping them too wet- they were in between two paper towels in a plastic baggie. I suppose I gave up on them too soon, since my others had put out about an inch root already-- lesson learned!

applestar
Mod

If you are using the paper towel pre-sprouting method, you don't really want to let them grow long roots like that. Ideally, they should be planted as soon as a tip of root appears on the end of the seed and no more than 1/8"...1/4" for bigger seeds.

I have trouble with this method because I never seem be ready or to have the time to plant them when they are ready to be planted. :roll: :lol:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:If you are using the paper towel pre-sprouting method, you don't really want to let them grow long roots like that. Ideally, they should be planted as soon as a tip of root appears on the end of the seed and no more than 1/8"...1/4" for bigger seeds.

I have trouble with this method because I never seem be ready or to have the time to plant them when they are ready to be planted. :roll: :lol:
Oh, I didn't know I was supposed to transplant them into the pots THAT quickly. Wow, they did go a lot faster than I had expected them too. The roots were peeking out of the seed pods after a week! Granted, I didn't even have any pots to transplant them into, so I had to leave them in there until I was able to buy my plastic pots and potting soil. Thankfully, my Tomato Seedlings and Zucchini seedlings are extremely happy campers, and they all are out of their seed pods and growing taller (I have them set up by a window that gets sunlight all day).

I also have two lima beans, and my last two pepper seeds that I planted directly into my plastic pots with a bit of compost in them. Waiting for them to crop up above soil- trying to keep the soil moist but not too wet.

I've also got onions in the ground, lettuces too, but nothing's coming up above ground. Trying to decide if I'm cursed, or not! We've been getting some major rain storms lately, and I'm hoping they didn't get drowned/too wet as a result. I'm almost afraid I planted my onions too deep, but it isn't really like I can go back and unbury them, then replant. I don't remember where exactly in the garden box I put them! :oops:

johnny123

If you can keep the soil temp at 75 to 80 degrees with a heated seed starter kit the peppers will grow fine.

No heat ='s No peppers.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

johnny123 wrote:If you can keep the soil temp at 75 to 80 degrees with a heated seed starter kit the peppers will grow fine.

No heat ='s No peppers.
Augh, my current temps are at about 72. I'll see if I can up the temps for them a bit-- I never knew peppers were so complicated to start from seed. Thanks for the extra info!

johnny123

Try for 80 degrees.
When you plant them outside raise the soil in the rows.
Cover the raised soil with black landscape fabric.
This will absorb heat and keep it in.
The raised soil will heat up fast.
Pepper roots like heat.

The picture in the link will show you what I mean.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_3287203_rows-of-pepper-plants-in-a-field-in-the-california-desert.html

SPierce
Greener Thumb

johnny123 wrote:Try for 80 degrees.
When you plant them outside raise the soil in the rows.
Cover the raised soil with black landscape fabric.
This will absorb heat and keep it in.
The raised soil will heat up fast.
Pepper roots like heat.

The picture in the link will show you what I mean.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_3287203_rows-of-pepper-plants-in-a-field-in-the-california-desert.html
Once it's warm enough to put them outside, I will- right now I'm still trying to start them inside, as it's too cold out to be able to do plant anything in ground ;(

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”