JLudin

Out of space, many seedlings taken from under grow light

I knew this problem was coming a while back. I am planning on a HUGE garden this year. So far my seedlings have been unbelievably resiliant. I bought 40 4" grower pots and filled them all a couple days ago.

Here's my problem.

I only have one place in the house where I can hang a grow light from. I have a rec room, but it is not heated right now, and with the cold snap moving in, I don't want to put them out there. Otherwise I could have another shop light. I have used all 40 pots and now have them under the grow lights. However, I still have two ALMOST full seed trays with almost everything getting their true leaves. I have nowhere to put them, not even a south facing window. So right now I just have them sitting in a 63 degree room with no lights. Will they survive? Possible solutions? I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew this year!

jasbo

I'm in a similar position except that I have one grow light, which isn't nearly enough for the 50-some 4-inch pots I have.

I've tried to get cope by alternating groups of 10 or 12 under the light and shuttling other plants outside each morning and back in at night. It's not perfect, but the seedlings have survived (all but three anyway). Can you get them out into the light during the day?

I have to admit, the ones that have shared time under the grow light (in a room 60-65 degrees) have done better than the ones that have spent time out in the chilly air just to get some light.

Jim

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Make it a double decker!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12209&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

(scroll down the page a bit to the picture; you can browse around the thread for more pictures).

It's 3 wall hung shelves. Top shelf stores trays and stuff and has lights hung from it over the second shelf. Second shelf has plants and lights hung from it over the first shelf, which has plants. My first shelf is a counter sitting on top of kitchen cabinets for more storage, but it could be just another wall hung shelf.

applestar
Mod

What are you growing? Tomatoes can go outside on 50°+ sunny days. They can handle upper 40's in sheltered sunny spot. I'm shuttling them in and out right now because days can be as warm as 70's but for example, right now, I see the temp has fallen to 48°F. I'd better go take care of them....

Toolman

Can you try gong 12 hours a day and rotate the
plants so the light is qoing 24 hours a day.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”