SPierce
Greener Thumb

When to pot?

Forgive the newb post, I searched and couldn't find anything on this. Please link me to a thread if there's one I missed!

I don't have a seed starter kit, so I used the good old elementary school method of a plastic baggies and paper towels. I was SO happy to come home today, take a peek in the bags, and find out that they're doing well and starting to sprout!

Question is, how long do I leave them in the baggies/in between the paper towels? Are there any signs I should look for as to when to take them out of the bag? Do I immediately put them in the ground afterwords, or put them in a smaller pot with soil ?

Thanks ahead of time for any information!

SOB
Green Thumb

What are you growing?

I have never tried the baggie method but I believe as soon as they sprout you want to put them in potting soil. Depending on what they are you may put them in the ground...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

When I germinate seeds that way, I plant them in soil as soon as the root begins to emerge from the seed. Roots are very fragile and can easily be broken during the planting process, if you wait too long. :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

SOB wrote:What are you growing?

I have never tried the baggie method but I believe as soon as they sprout you want to put them in potting soil. Depending on what they are you may put them in the ground...
Gotcha. They just started sending out a little white tendril- which I'm guessing is roots. I wasn't sure if I should wait longer until they've started forming a plant, or...? I've started Zucchini, Peppers and tomatoes. The peppers and zucchini are OK, but the tomatoes are null. I'll probably end up planting them in the pots I have planned and seeing what happens.
Last edited by SPierce on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Kisal wrote:When I germinate seeds that way, I plant them in soil as soon as the root begins to emerge from the seed. Roots are very fragile and can easily be broken during the planting process, if you wait too long. :)
Thank you! I will pick up some small starter pots and some non-miracle gro soil and put them in the pot asap, it's too cold outside still to go-in ground with them.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”