When to you move your plants into their new homes?

Before March 1
No votes
March 1 to March 15
No votes
March 16 to March 31
No votes
April 1 to April 15
38%
April 16 to April 30
No votes
May 1 to May 15
25%
May 16 to May 31
25%
June 1 or later
13%

Total votes: 8
M.Clark

When Do you move your plants into their new homes?

We have been getting some wacky weather the past few weeks. Last Sunday was snow and rain, this Sunday will be 80 and thunderstorms. I put the hoop houses on my raised beds about two weeks ago to help heat up the soil (lasagna garden method). I have 4 tomato plants that are going bonkers trying to get out of the south facing window that I have them in and into the wild. There are also a handful of other plants that appear to be ready for transplanting.

I have been kicking around the idea of moving them into the garden this weekend as it will be warm and wet. However, I am also planning on keeping the hoop house plastic on for the moment knowing that the night time temps will be in the 40 with daytime only in the 50s. My goal would for it to be in the 70’s and 80’s inside plastic.

But thus raises the question, when do / did you put your plants into the garden and what is your approximant location? I am in West Michigan and we still have snow banks in some areas north of the City.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I rarely get the ground prepped in time for my last frost date (mid May), and by that time the tomatoes and peppers have been sitting outside in good sized pots for all but the coldest nights so I don't feel like they have suffered by not being in the relatively cold soil. I try to get things in on Memorial Day weekend, but often don't get done until the first week of June.

Early tomatoes I start a couple of months early and grow in containers. They keep me from going nuts waiting for the first main crop tomatos.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Our estimated last frost date is around May 15 here in central WI. Most people wait to plant until Memorial Day though. If I had cold frames or a way to protect plants from frost I wouldn't hesitate to plant around May 1st or so.
The cold stuff would be planted already (brassicas, lettuce, spinach, etc) if we had moved already. That stuff can handle snow and frost. But oh well :( I just might not get much broccoli this year

ozark_rocks

I'm in Arkansas, zone 7, but in a micro climate. I've had frost in may, but it is rare to get frost after April 22...So I will be putting tomatoes in the ground today or tomorrow. I know I will probably have to cover them a time or two, but the head start is worth it. I will plant my peppers in a couple of weeks, they do better if it is warmer.

BP

M Clark, I'm in the flint area (swartzCreek) and I'll be tilling a new garden this year. I went out to the designated area yesterday and the ground is still quite squishy. Depending on rainfall, I plan on tilling it Easter weekend and wait and see twmpwise when I can plant. I already have small tomato seedlings, peppers, watermelon, and pumpkin. second round of starting seeds in a week or so for backups.

JennieMig
Cool Member

I live in Jacksonville Florida, NE almost at the Georgia line, and I planted everything February 20th.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what plants? cold weather crops go out a lot earlier than warm weather ones and tomatoes earlier than squash, etc etc.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't go by a date, I go by the weather. Some years, things warm up early, and I can set my starts out after our last frost date (Apr 15th), with a little protection from excess rain. Other years, it stays cold and very wet as late as the first part of July. If I set out my plants in that kind of weather, they either just sit there and do nothing, or else the roots rot from too much rain. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

like kisal I try not to go by a date, knowing your weather patterns helps.

another thing that is of great importance is the phenological signs to plant. refer to this thread.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=34193

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”